Toyota 2JZ 3.0 six for Bonneville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota 2JZ 3.0 six for Bonneville

I'm thinking of running a Toyota 2JZ N/A on gas at Bonneville. Anyone have any ideas on this motor?
    I have a couple cores and the things looks strong enough to make horsepower and live.
    Doug in big ditch

Re: Toyota 2JZ 3.0 six for Bonneville

Welcome, Doug! I think you need Dieselgeek. He knows what to do with those.

Comment

I have tuned a few of these, all of them have been on boost around 8.5 - 9:1 compression.

On gasoline, 1000 at the crank is doable on stock internals. This is probably the most stout engine any OEM ever mass produced.

I'll have to talk to some of my expert friends about running one N/A. They have an oiling issue if you try to spin them too fast, the front crank seal holds oil pressure so if you try to wind it up and run too high pressure, you pop the seal. There are some common workarounds for this.

How much N/A power will you need to make to achieve your goal?
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I think 300HP at the flywheel will get us over the record nicely. Remembering the altitude is 4,000' and most days the corrected is about 6,000'. Around 400HP at sea level is most likely the least we should start with.
        Doug in big ditch

Comment

use the 2Jz block and 1Jz head, the turbo block (2jz) has better internals and a very trick oiling system, the 1jz head had better flow and will boost compression. There are NA cars making around 500hp with ease. good luck.

Comment

Youc can try MSP in maryland, they've built just a couple of fast cars out of those supra motors....

Comment

msp is the Efantis Brothers. They opened their own shop. You can talk to the guy that was doing their motors before they took it in house. Jim Justis at justice racing engines - used to be in frederick maryland now he is in Winchester Va. He does a lot of import motors -- Rally, SCCA, Drag etc.....

Comment

Well there you have it. The Efantis bros, are pretty cool guys, they got kicked out of Nopi for winning to much, and I think a fight may have insued, but I can't remember lol

Comment

Originally posted by Green Junk
                  Well there you have it. The Efantis bros, are pretty cool guys, they got kicked out of Nopi for winning to much, and I think a fight may have insued, but I can't remember lol

haha

reminded me of a hilarious Efantis story, can't really tell it online. One of their customers bought a Supra that we built here, so we had to spend a little time with their tuner on the phone helping diagnose a missing vacuum line :-)

They build some great cars, no doubt, but Justice and the Efantis' guys have only built forced induction 2JZs to my knowledge. My guy here is telling me the same thing Tommy said, 1Jz head, higher compression, 2JZ bottom end. The lower intake manifold is supposedly almost perfect from the factory but the upper can use some help (a volume increase). You may have difficulty finding the right cam for an N/A application. PM me if you would like to talk to the guy I use out here for my 2JZ knowledge, he's also never done N/A applications but I trust him. He built the Bullish Racing engines a few years back, so he knows how to make a 2JZ bottom end live to 1600+hp if you end up wanting to run any Forced Induction classes :-)

-scott
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Hey guys... Doug is obviously to polite to say this... but he's "not to ignorant"... in other words he's made a living out of his shop for MANY MANY years... as an engine builder/ Car builder... he has 3 Bonneville cars.... ( two with current records ) and a streamliner that's new... this 2jz thing is for the streamliner...

... Oh and he's simply a heck of a nice guy ...

K

Comment

Doug's reputation precedes him - My cousins in California have mentioned his name quite a few times over the years. Usually in awe of his work and records.

If you get Jim on the phone he might be able to offer some tips. He used to be with quicksilver and did SCCA for 10 years - with CART Toyota Atlantic they were one of the go to shops. Forced induction is actually something recent with him, he saw the import craze coming with the kids and made a nice little business out of it. Now it looks like he is doing more with Rally motors.

Comment

Guys, Thanks for the info so far. Sorry I did not get back before but I'm thrashing on 2 sbc, 300 cid and 400 cid to get in a crate to send to Australia where we left our streamliner last year. Long story ( rain out ). These will be to get a good baseline and have fun. When I get back I hope to figure out what 3.0 L motor I will be using in the liner. Nissan gave me a nice V6 they had built for another project but it only make 360 HP and is a east-west motor and it takes a lot of work to make it go north-south. I really like the Toyota inline 6 as it is much easier to configure into the liner but Toyota will not give me the time of day let alone any help or good information. That was why I was hoping someone had some real life experience whit that motor.
                        Doug in big ditch

Comment

I've worked on quite a few of those but mostly boosted. My best suggestion would be to investige the other lifter buckets available that don't use shims. (Echo)

Comment

Working...
                          X