New engine break in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New engine break in.

Just bought a new GM 350. Besides priming the oil what do I do to break it in? What oil or oil additives do I need to use.
    Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Roller or flat tappet cam?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

joe gibbs break-in oil or joe gibbs break-in oil

Comment

Comp Cams makes break in oil. I used Valvoline VR1 race oil. It has zinc. I've also used cheap oil with the GM additive with no problems.

Neither of these engines have crazy stiff springs.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm assuming this is a flat tappet motor so I'd run Brad Penn Break In Oil. You can typically get it locally, if not I'd order as case. Another reason why I like it is because it has a dye in it so if you aquire a oil leak you can shine a black light on it to trace it down. I typically put one bottle of zinc (or GM EOS) during initial break in and at least a couple of oil changes after but I still recommend a high zinc oil after the fact. Otherwise I would pull the valve covers to look things over and visually see oil getting to the rockers while priming. You may need to rotate the motor to a few different positions to get them all to oil. Comp Cams also has a decent tutorial on camshaft break in you may take a look at if you are not familiar with the process. Keep the motor happy with timing, fuel, and cooling for the 15 minutes or so at 2500-3000 RPM. Good luck!
          Last edited by BOSSMAN; March 11, 2012, 06:59 PM.
          Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Working...
          X