Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pure Oxygen injection as opposed to Nitrous Oxide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DG,
    Id play as well, but on their dime! Just dont get casual with anything dealing with LOX. Without mentioning any names I know a real smart Phd guy that spent a few months in the burn ward after a little experiment. He does a lot of big brained science, and is normally very safe...but LOX can be cruel.
    I designed valves and manifolding for adult volume ventilators for 13 years (delivers a finely tuned mixture of air and O2 up to 100% O2) and had to deal with a lot of system and controls requirements for O2 safety so I am a bit paranoid, but I do believe that if things are "thought out" safety is possible Oh and this: Always keep the cameras rolling during a test (everyone likes a good explosion on film)!
    BKB
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Originally posted by BKBridges View Post
      DG,
      Id play as well, but on their dime! Just dont get casual with anything dealing with LOX. Without mentioning any names I know a real smart Phd guy that spent a few months in the burn ward after a little experiment. He does a lot of big brained science, and is normally very safe...but LOX can be cruel.
      I designed valves and manifolding for adult volume ventilators for 13 years (delivers a finely tuned mixture of air and O2 up to 100% O2) and had to deal with a lot of system and controls requirements for O2 safety so I am a bit paranoid, but I do believe that if things are "thought out" safety is possible Oh and this: Always keep the cameras rolling during a test (everyone likes a good explosion on film)!
      BKB
      I will bring my camera for sure.

I'm not even sure why these guys area asking me to be there but I will certainly make sure I am careful, and make sure these guys are safely handling the LOX.

Speaking of which, is it any safer to use 100% pure Gaseous Oxygen? similar handling concerns? or is it considered safer?
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Gaseous O2 has the same hazards as liquid, except that the liquid can expand at a ridiculous rate when it vaporizes, like 860:1. An example would be that one liter of liquid O2 would expand to 860 liters of gas at room temperature. For this reason, liquid oxygen should NEVER be trapped in a closed system without some kind of relief valve.

For your own awareness, check out this paper, it's worth a read and will open your eyes up to the dangers involved:

Even the first few pages will give a good idea as to how careful you need to be.

I agree with BKBridges, even the most intelligent people can get into serious trouble if they're unfamiliar with oxygen handling safety and materials compatibility.
        Last edited by 65longroof; March 7, 2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

State change is a b+tch, making LOX tough to handle (not to mention COLD: Frozen valves, icing due to atmospheric H2O, seized valves due to differential expansion rates, stuck poppets etc or worse yet phase change in the wrong places..(boom).
          Gaseous under 250psi isnt too bad to deal with as long as you know what the impact energy in the control system is (valves, regulators, etc.) and things are super clean...and the materials of construction dont look like fuel. I have seen high pressure regulators deflagrate on an oxygen cylinder (destructive testing) due to a small amount of oil (one drop) in the primary regulator poppet when the tank's valve was remotely opened... After that I was always a bit leary of turning hp O2 tank valves on, even on my welding tanks. POSD. Now I MIG
          BKB
          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Originally posted by 65longroof View Post
            Gaseous O2 has the same hazards as liquid, except that the liquid can expand at a ridiculous rate when it vaporizes, like 860:1. An example would be that one liter of liquid O2 would expand to 860 liters of gas at room temperature. For this reason, liquid oxygen should NEVER be trapped in a closed system without some kind of relief valve.

For your own awareness, check out this paper, it's worth a read and will open your eyes up to the dangers involved:

Even the first few pages will give a good idea as to how careful you need to be.

I agree with BKBridges, even the most intelligent people can get into serious trouble if they're unfamiliar with oxygen handling safety and materials compatibility.
            Spent a little time going through 2-1 (handling) - NASA does an excellent job explaining why this is not good stuff to use in an automotive environment.

I'm just there to observe and comment :-)

Thanks for the link !
            Last edited by dieselgeek; March 7, 2012, 01:39 PM.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I am but a simple man with simple ways, to me it sounds a lot like a cutting torch. LOL

I would love to be a fly on the wall.
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Dang LOX is some nasty stuff. An internal combustion engine with all it moving parts does not seem like a suitable environment for LOX. Impact ignition..... Float the valves once and obliterate the front of your car!
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

that's why the guys that refill tanks for welders and cutting torches hate oil....... most regulators say "NO OIL" on them some place.

I hope it's gaseous they are planning on using.

as volatile as LOX is I assumed civilians couldn't get a hold of the stuff.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I think all of us are intrigued by what you're about to do.

Take pictures, stay safe, report back.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      I hope it's gaseous they are planning on using.
                      From reading the NASA paper, Gaseous Oxygen is just as bad as LOX minus issues associated with rapid expansion. I'm presuming that this system is based on LOX only because I noticed all the system inputs - cylinder gas temp, cylinder gas pressure - usually those are reserved for liquid fuels, as the temp and pressure become important in correctly calculating the mass of fuel delivered to the engine (think liquid versus gaseous propane). That and they're using *extremely* high pressure-capable injectors. I won't know for sure until I talk some more with the guys trying this out. The schematic I've seen includes a computer-controlled valve that closes the oxygen supply under a broad variety of potential problems... AFR, EGT, Metered Mass Airflow - if any of those exceed a certain range, oxygen is shut down.

My gut tells me they'll have distribution problems. They're spraying under the carb which is great if you're using one of those pretends-to-be-EFI systems, but in my experience is an invitation to distribution issues on an engine making any real power.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                        From reading the NASA paper, Gaseous Oxygen is just as bad as LOX minus issues associated with rapid expansion. I'm presuming that this system is based on LOX only because I noticed all the system inputs - cylinder gas temp, cylinder gas pressure - usually those are reserved for liquid fuels, as the temp and pressure become important in correctly calculating the mass of fuel delivered to the engine (think liquid versus gaseous propane). That and they're using *extremely* high pressure-capable injectors. I won't know for sure until I talk some more with the guys trying this out. The schematic I've seen includes a computer-controlled valve that closes the oxygen supply under a broad variety of potential problems... AFR, EGT, Metered Mass Airflow - if any of those exceed a certain range, oxygen is shut down.

My gut tells me they'll have distribution problems. They're spraying under the carb which is great if you're using one of those pretends-to-be-EFI systems, but in my experience is an invitation to distribution issues on an engine making any real power.
                        You are correct that gaseous is just as bad as liquid. Add on that you can get cryo burns with liquid (cryogenic) O2. If they are using liquid, delivery will definitely be an issue unless they are using vacuum insulated lines and cryo specific components. Liq. Ox is VERY cold and will start to vaporize in the lines until they get to liquid temperature. This will cause a rapid rise in pressures in the line(s) with potentially catastrophic results.

I'm glad that we could open up some eyes to see that this isn't really backyard type stuff to play with. Hopefully the guys you are working with are fully aware of this and are taking necessary precautions. If not, don't be afraid to step in and make them think twice about what they're doing.

Comment

Its sending shivers up my spine...
                          We used to test our LOX pumps with liquid Nitrogen in the shop before we went out to Edwards AFB to blow stuff up Uh I mean launch and or run a motor. In fact, the first stage DARPA contract for the pump was to just pump liquid nitrogen, which turned out to be a real challenge. Its a good way to chill the system to operating temp and see if you dont blow a fuel rail or manifold off without the all consuming fireball. Nothing worse than seeing your engineering dollars barbequing from 100 feet away...been there. Then again, its not your $$
                          BKB
                          added a pic of the atlas thruster actually working properly on the gimbaling test stand...it blew up later on.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BKBridges; March 7, 2012, 03:39 PM.
                          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

My gut tells me your going to get to witness the first throttle body to make orbit..........

Comment

Dunno what to say other than make sure Chad is not in the vicinity.
                              The US doesn't need another Meteor Crater I would think...
                              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

A skylight in the dyno cell may be appropriate.
                                I dug up a couple of pics of what things look like when it goes bad (rocket style)
                                BKB
                                Attached Files
                                www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                                Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Working...
                                X