Header primary question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header primary question......

I'm looking at replacing the OBX headers that I have on my '99 Camaro with a set of Kooks Stepped headers.......I'm going to do a cam swap soon that will raise the HP to about 500hp........My choices of the stepped primaries are 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" or 1 7/8" to 2"........Just my opinion here, but I would think with it still being a small cubic inch motor(5.7L) that I would probably want the smaller primaries, but what do you think, which way do you think will be the best way to go......Also the smaller primary headers come with a 3" collector and the larger ones come with a 3.5" collector........

I would think since this isn't an optimized race car, that the smaller headers
    would be a better fit for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by min301 View Post
      I would think since this isn't an optimized race car, that the smaller headers
      would be a better fit for your needs.
      X2.

Invest the $45 in pipemax and get the best answer.

However, the way you tend to overcam your engines, I'm not sure it'll matter.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
        X2.

Invest the $45 in pipemax and get the best answer.

However, the way you tend to overcam your engines, I'm not sure it'll matter.
        Actually the cam I picked, mirrors the stock power output below 3600rpm, so I won't be giving up anything down low, though I will lose about 10hp from 3600-4400rpm, but from there on it's no looking back up to 499hp........Or at least that is what their dyno graph shows.........And I know my results may vary.......

Comment

A stepped header is a little much for 500 hp 1 3/4 I would think would be enough
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Well I guess for once we're all on the same page..........I just thought I'd run it by you guys and see what you though....Thanks for the input!!!.......

Comment

TC, even a Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut now and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Well with a bit of delay I finally got my Kooks headers today........Feeling kind of like Christmas......

Last edited by TC; May 3, 2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Pretty, I like the double O2 bungs. I have mine that way which is handy to compare claibrations with a chassis dyno or a second unit. Do yourself a favor and use stainless v-band clamps to coennect to your head pipes. Best money I've ever spent and it allows ypu tp make little alignment tweeks when doing R&R.

One other thought. When I attach the weld rings I stagger them such that the collector tube extends through the ring and out .125 to .200" and the ring on the head tube is extend past the end of the material by the same or just a touch more. That way the exhuast pressure doesn't work directly against the sealing surface on the weld ring flanges. That litlle stub makes one person installs of the exhuast easier.

Finally use paste type high temp anti-seize on the inside of the v-band clamp gorooves this allows you to more easily rotate the clamp to put the t-bolt part of the clamp out of harms way. I also use a pair after the muffler and before the loop that goes over the rear end housing which makes those alignment tweeks even easier and allows for the exhuast to come apart in managable sections to allow work on other stuff.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Nice looking exhaust there Bill!!!!

I like the idea of V-bands but I'm not sure I could use them, my exhaust sits pretty snug to the floor of the car......I'll check it out, definitely a good idea.......

Comment

Working...
                    X