Clicking in front end of '97 4x4 1 ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking in front end of '97 4x4 1 ton

There is a rotational clicking noise in the front of my truck. The pitch and metal on metal sound is like if a screw was tumbling around inside the center cap. There is nothing tumbling around in there, though. It is a very consistant clicking that increases with speed but doesn't get any louder. I would think CV axle if it were clunking or changing with turning and suspension articulation. Nope. Same noise. Same volume. Just speeds up and slows down with speed. Thoughts?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Does it do it when you jack up a front wheel and spin it by hand?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No. Also, doesn't do it with the cv axle detached from the hub bearing. I had to do a brake job a couple weeks ago and had to cv's free from the hubs.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Does your transfer case have a dash push button setup with an auto 4x4 mode? Have you checked/changed the fluid in your transfer case lately?
        Is yours a NP246?

You may be experiencing a pump rub issue where the hard aluminum pump housing rubs a hole in the softer magnesium case of the transfer case. It kind of looks like this when you drop and split the case on mine.

The clicking was the bearing without the separators

I fixed my hole with some jb weld

There ended up being more to it but if this isn't your problem it wont help you to post more.

Let us know.
        Rich

sigpic

Comment

failing CV joints tend to click
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

How do the CV joint boots look? Any evidence of cracks or lube leakage?
            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
            X