Looking for 3" body low profile mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 3" body low profile mufflers

Hey folks, I had an issue with the exhaust hanging low on DW11 and getting mangled on some railroad tracks so I'm redoing my exhaust. I'm still gonna be running it all the way over the four link and out the back. I have some 3" bullet resonators back there and also cutouts in the front to bypass the full system. I'm looking for a low profile muffler with a 3" tall body and 3" in/out. So far I've found The Coffin Muffler ($85) and one from Spintech ($135). Any suggestions?

Naturally I'm wanting to keep them reasonable in price so the Coffin is looking good right now. Plus I've seen them display at local car shows and they're a cool looking/ good sounding piece. I currently have Spintechs but they're a hair over 4 inches tall.

The Coffin Muffler

Spintech Muffler
    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Buy some flowmasters, then run over them.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

lol, now there's an option I had not thought of.
      Rich

Comment

Not sure if the inside would be a restriction but I have a set of flow masters that someone cut off the inlet and out let and welded on bigger pipes. How about take a ban saw and section the bigger muffler.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I did that to a set of clone mufflers that had a stepped area to the inlets and outlets. They are about 3", maybe 3.5 at the most.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'd say refab what you have. Mufflers have to be the easiest part to fab, and easiest to modify. Maybe put an offset on the inlet and move the muffler up towards the body? then you only squish pipe when you hit a RR crossing.

or go round to oval and get a muffler that has a 3" body?

hmmm, at $85 each, you've given me an idea for a new product
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Rich if you bypass the system at the track why not use some of the 'turbo mufflers' out there? They are pretty cheap and are only a little over 3" at the tall part of the oval in many cases. I have run some Magnaflows that are close on size to what you want but the sound level was deafening on long drives. I reworked (cut and rewelded) the DynoMax Ultraflows I have on the car now so I can dirve and actually talk to the co-driver and still have them fit in the more or less stock location. Cheap turbo mufflets could be squeezed a bit under something heavy and still work fine for just driving.

I'm surprized with your steamroller meats in back that exhuast ground clearnace would be an issue?
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I thought about trying to section the spintechs but wasn't sure if I'd screw them up by shortening them. Guess it's ok to try and mod them. I'll play with that this weekend. If I totally hose them then I'll look toward the turbo's as they are significantly cheaper now that I look at 'em.

Bill, the reason the exhaust was so low is two part, first the big mufflers angled the exhaust down a bit and two, I went under the 4-link cross member which further pushed it down. I'm working on rerouting that part so I can tuck it higher.

I have another option rather than rerouting around the cross member. It would probably be easier (and lighter) if I went back to the side exit but I like having the exhaust exit way out back as it lessens the cabin noise a bit. It's likely not a whole lot but enough that I can hold a fairly normal conversation w/o yelling.

The biggest thing I'm looking at with the side exit now is having easier access to the rear suspension for adjustment. As I'm hoping to get some lessons from Jeff and others during DW this year about setting up my 4-link (my friend who built/ set it up originally has since passed away), it would be much easier getting under there w/o the extra exhaust.
                Rich

Comment

DR GAS has oval pipes and ground clearance mufflers
                  drgas.net

Comment

I did look into the oval tubing from SpinTech but it's kinda pricey to do a whole system from it. No love today from modding my mufflers but I'll figure something out.

Strange thing, I couldn't find oval tubing from Dr Gas anymore. I thought I found their site with a slightly different name but they mainly just had the boom tubes and those were on clearance. Seems like they've gotten more into suspension parts and such for early Mustangs.
                    Rich

Comment

buy the mufflers you want and section them, its only metal
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Not as cheap as the ones you already found, but interesting to see... flowmaster part numbers 335408 for $185 or 235604-11 for $345... then again, if Flowmaster claims they have an "aggressive sound" they might be obnoxious inside a street car.

Comment

Muffler design is one of the things that occupy my mind from time to time... maybe some day I'll learn how to weld and then toy with some of the designs that go through my head.

Comment

What stopped me today when I went to cut open one of my old mufflers was thinking about how I would weld the inner pieces back together since they're in the case. I watched a video of how the Coffin Mufflers are welded together and it looks like they actually weld the inner structure to the inside of the case from the outside. Neat stuff, just not sure if I can pull it off. With my luck I'd create something that rattles loose after the first day of DW and would have to listen to it for the rest of the week. Boy that would suck!

Those Flowmasters look cool. I've often wondered about the internal designs of mufflers as well. Everybody claims better 'flow performance' and quieter noise but in the end I wonder what difference it really makes. I know a good vs bad header can make a huge difference though as I've seen it first hand...mufflers not so much.
                            Last edited by Dignlif; March 18, 2012, 11:04 PM.
                            Rich

Comment

what about the flowmaster Hushpowers?
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X