No announcement yet.

Piston Rings Don't fit? 1980 Ford 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had that happen. Some one I knew blew apart his 402. He couldn't figure out how to put it back together and begged me to put it back together. When I checked the new rings, they had a huge gap like you said while the stocker was with in specs. I don't remember if we went to a different brand or re used the old.

Yeah, the guy spun a rod bearing while doing 100 MPH going to work in a 50 MPH zone. I told him the rods needed to be resized but refused to do so, said he didn't have the money. I told him he'd spin a bearing again. But he had money to buy headers, cam and carb. Yes he did spin a rod bearing and no, I didn't get volunteer to fix it again.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; April 10, 2012, 08:16 PM.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
      Dad was checking the gap about an inch into the hole. I can see the gap being big b/c of the taper but it should be big on the old ring also. I ordered a standard set of hastings rings this will be set #4 if they don't work, which I will not be holding my breath. Its going to $$ to find the problem and $$ to fix. I might look for another motor or short block.
      Sorry, but arent the standard rings going to have the bigger gap? If you buy a .060 over set you are gonna get more ring so when you put them in the hole you will pretty much should have the ends overlap by .030. That way you just file them to get where you want. I still dont think the bigger rings are gonna last too long if you have too much clearance with the piston, but if you dont want to get pistons and bore the block, you pretty much need to file the rings so getting more ring in an oversize set will give you more ring to work with.

Comment

that was what he started with and found out were the wrong size - .030 OVERsize... that would be a recipe for "Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full" for ring seal I would think. Oversize rings would go ovoid in the bore? Anyway, that problem was identified early and on to plan D, the fourth set.

I don't get the rings having that wide of a gap. I'd call them and ask, may still do so if I get some time this week. Just kinda wierd. You would expect the std file to fit ring to be on the large size, not the What the hell small size! Even a "pre-gapped" HA! shouldn't be that wide? Confused. Let us know on the Hastings?
        Last edited by Beagle; April 11, 2012, 06:10 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
        X