No announcement yet.

Need Diesel Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what do you guys think of this statement.......

A clip from the latest Diesel Power magazine

Pipe Dreams

Diesel enthusiasts already know the great power potential and more efficient fuel consumption offered by a diesel truck.All that power and economy doesnt come without picking the right parts though. An after market high flow exhaust system has to do more than simply make your truck sound better. Point in case with a 4" vs. 5 or 6 inch system, how big do you need to go? To answer that first we need to go over a few basics.
    On most contemporary turbodiesel engines, the exhaust comes right off the exit of the turbo and after market exhaust manufacturers offer more than one tubing size to vent the exhaust more quickly.
    One advantage of moving exhaust gasses quickly and efficiently is to reduce buildup of heat. Turbo diesel engines generate alot of heat, especially when the engine is under a heavy load. A high flow exhaust actually allows your diesel engine to run cooler and adds the potential for more boost when towing.
    Large diameter tubing also reduces backpressure, making it easier for the pistons to shove that exhaust out of the cylenders and resulting inmore horsepower. Less backpressure allows the turbin to spin more efficiently, therefore it will build boost quicker and run cooler.
    Interestingly enough however there is a point where bigger isnt necessarly better. While engine testing indicates that going from 3-1/2" to 4" can reduce backpressure by as much as 98%, ther can be less than 2% reduction above 4" exhaust. SO while a 5 or 6" exhaust looks cool it wont give you much more than just a coolness factor

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      "Cuda - Don't know if you've read all of this thread. Was your truck a gasser or Diesel?

Anyhow - Mine ran 107 then 108 in stock configuration - this was actual speed in a timed mile not GPS or other approximate method. According to the Interwebs the truck has a speed limiter that is nominally set to 95 but I think mine's set a bit high - I don't know if your '99 has the speed limiter. The Edge will bypass the speed limiter as well as add HP.

Haven't done any math yet (I suck at math) but probably should. I need to be sure that I don't go too fast and get booted out of the track. The Edge Attitude readout has a speed display option which I'll compare to the time slip value and see how close it is. I'll use the readout to keep me out of trouble.

Dan
      It was a diesel with a 5 speed stick and 3.55 gears. If I remember correctly the speed limiter was something new in 2000 and maybe just on the automatic trucks? It's been awhile since I messed with the diesel stuff.

That speed was just on the highway but it was at the rev limiter in 5th gear. Iirc the 5 speed has a lower od ratio than the auto and the 99s had a little shorter tires on them. It felt like it could have held that speed for days with no problems.
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
        So what do you guys think of this statement.......
        Magazine quote, not much faith in that.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
        X