Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you think a slick will grow at speed ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KJZ28
    replied
    Re: How much do you think a slick will grow at speed ?

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Supergas565
    replied

Good Deal Dad....hope it works for ya...!!!!! Looking forward to lap results....!!!!!

Rickster

Leave a comment:

• BigDad
    replied

I called Goodyear tire rep ..he said cold weather 1 to inch and 1/4 at center of tire in temps of 50-70 outside
    warm weather 1 and a 1/4 to 1 1/2 at center of tire in temps 80-100 or so
    at side wall not really any growth

I adjusted eveything around ..its a hard thing to measure but I have a "little" over a inch everywhere and up to 1 1/2
    no new pics yet, but, think it will be okay ..I'm going to trim my inner lip just a tad should be able to get another 1/4 without being a butcher

Leave a comment:

• Falcon67
    replied

Good luck. Mine had about that and the tires rubbed with any speed at all. I made about 2" on each side with a sledge hammer (it was a points race, new tires - fix it later) and the leading edge of the wheel well still collects a lot of rubber. Not enough to hurt the tire, but it gets real close.

Leave a comment:

• A/Fuel
    replied

a similar question was asked on another board not too long ago.
    Hi Guys, I need to know if there is a rule of thumb (or a good guess) on calculating rear tire growth on a RED. I'm mounting my dual chutes and want...

Leave a comment:

• 67rs/ss
    replied

I had close to 1" front and rear total of 2" on my camaro with 295 drag radials. Everyone told me DR's dont grow. First pass it ripped the chrome moulding off one side. I replaced it and adjusted the rear end but after 3 sets of mouldings I gave up and went to a 28" tire.
    Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• henny496
    Guest replied

I have about 3.75 in on mine. I have a shorter 4 link though and I have to drop the rear end down to get the tire off
    I had meant 3 inches total when I wrote, I should of specified that
    Cars want to rise at the back on launch(anti squat), some more than others, but your tire won't grow until you get some speed anyway
    I like the old Mopars
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• BigDad
    replied

There is 3 inches both inside and outside on sidewalls ..that is not issue
    on the rear there is 2 inches ..Its just on lower 1/4 area

If I drop ride height , few other things think we can eek out 1 1/4 ..Hoping that will be enough

Leave a comment:

• henny496
    Guest replied

You need to check the clearance with the fender throughout the suspension travel. The body may roll also. It also depends on how far the rear of the fender and lowest point of the fr rocker are tucked under

Tom

Leave a comment:

• BigDad
    replied

#1408's are stiff sidewall .. min growth

3 inches ? ...No way would you need that , its not a top fuel car

Yes, it will exceed 120 mph ;D

Leave a comment:

• The Shoe
    replied

1 1/4 to 1 1/2" might be enough if your not going over 120 ,if you roll the front lip in so the tire can't bite it and pull it which will cut the slick bad.....02 cents for ya...........

Leave a comment:

• Tommygun
    replied

one thing to consider is when it grows it gets skinnier too. So your looking at the space now, it changes quite a bit with heat and speed.

Leave a comment:

• Supergas565
    replied

Definately gonna need more than you have there Dad. But if you can get a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 after adjusting you should be OK...I think 3" would be extreme, but I could be wrong...?

Rickster

Leave a comment:

• henny496
    Guest replied

Hello
    First of all, I am partial to the big tire look on a car. To me they are never out of style
    There is a stiff sidewalled slick and a high growth slick. I would think a big tire would grow at least 3 inches for
    a high growth tire
    You probably don't want to hear this, but I think you need more clearance
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• BigDad
    started a topic How much do you think a slick will grow at speed ?

How much do you think a slick will grow at speed ?

I put these big sob's on my car (yeah I know big tires are not cool anymore, but I like them ) I have about 9/16ths without adjusting a little ..I think after a ride height adjustment, and moving the ladder bars back a tad ..I can get maybe a solid inch to 1 1/4"
    they are 16x 32's #1408.. picture is with 15lbs of air ..so its as bad as it will be right now

Working...
X