94 Caprice LT-1 No Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Caprice LT-1 No Start

My fathers 94 Caprice is sitting in the garage right now and doesn't want to start.

Changed the battery since 7 cells were dead
    Chagned the Starter.
    Changed the Alternator.

Still nothing when you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump relay kick and then nothing. I'm stumped at this point.
    I was thinking:
    ignition starter switch.
    The car has an aftermarket alarm.
    SDM Module
    Passkey fault, but with that the car should start and shut right off.
    Ignition Coil.

Anybody else have idea's on this?
    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Was it starting/running fine and all of a sudden nothing .... or is there more to the story?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

yes it was running fine and he turned it off to go into a store and that was it.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Does it turn over, just no fire? Or nothing when you hit the key?

Aftermarket alarms can cause all sorts of problems ... that's what stands out to me first off.

Comment

Nothing when you hit the key. The alarm was installed 17 years ago by a cert. alarm installer back when the car came out of Major Chevy.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

VATS wires broke from lock cylinder

Comment

Yep, turn the key now and the Passkey light stays on steady.Measured the old key to find an ohms of .68 which is still good. The lock cylinder is 17 years old and the check engine light stays on.

The list now:
              Need to get an OBD-1 Reader
              New Lock Cylinder{Never did a car with an airbag}
              While at it, change starter switch

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Search the net, you can jumper the aldl connector to read the cel flashes .... record the sequence(s) and that'll tell you the codes.

Comment

Measured the old key? are you using a different key?

I have a 98 Malibu with the next generation passkey. it does nothing. the theft system lite stays on. with that one you wait 10 minutes and the thing resets. I know there was a passkey over ride on the internet, something about putting a switch in line with a yellow wire to over ride the system. Dont know if it went back to 94, but if if the theft system lite is staying on its all in that system. There was a place on ebay that sold the keys or would check and cut your key if you sent it to them.

Comment

update

well got another key made up and the pass key light went off but still the same issue.with the key off, I'm measuring 12.18-12.2......at this point I think is a dead short with the starter cause when you turn the key, the volt gauge goes to 0.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Is there a fuse/relay box under the hood. Not so sure it's a dead short, but something is open when the ignition is turned. Check main fuses and relays ....

Comment

Check the relays/fuses they are good.

He thinks the new starter is the issue.I've been reading the GM book downstairs with him. The passkey system works, the relays are good, fuses are good. the theft relay/module are good. I've must have been on 10 differant forums and this place is describing the same issue pointing to the starter swtich.

LT1-LT4 Modifications - Car wont start.. Here are the symptoms. - When I turn the key in accessory, the fuel pump primes and all the normal gauge cluster lights turn on. No security light turns on (VATS is disabled anyway) Starter will not engage. It's dead quiet when I turn the key over. Battery is good (even tried...

To remove this switch,one site was saying to remove the column from the car.

I'd think i would rather get the starter tested up at my job and see if it works. We had some arguments, but I've missed doing things like this with him. I rarely see him with the amount of hours of work me and him are putting in lately.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time something came out of a box and didn't work ....

It'd probably be smart to remove the air bag from the column before you go after the switch if that's what it ends up being.

Comment

Got it benchtested and it's good out of the car. The way the alarm system is installed in the car, i've have to take it down and move it out of the way. I rather not take the column down due to the amount of rat nest and dust bunnies in that area, plus 17 year old GM connectors that break if you breathe on them. i know if i move that alarm, i can access the 8mm bolts

before this i need to get a code scanner and scan the car, should be here monday just to see if there is a pcm issue
                            Last edited by Runner1972; May 19, 2012, 07:59 PM.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

ol skool vats does not tie in for codes
                              is the security light on solid ?

Comment

Working...
                              X