Oil coolers ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Good point, I was talking about a radiator air dam.

Me too ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My 69 Cutlass had a factory one-about 3" tall black plastic. Maybe it would be a bolt-on for your Chevelle?

Comment

This probably goes without saying, but if you install an air dam under the radiator, watch out for parking curbs!

If you fabricate something, try to engineer it in a way that it will "give" before the part of the car it's mounted to.

Comment

Quick update on the air dam (I'll take some pics later today).... I started bending up some 16 ga that will be bolted to the underside of the core support. Total width is 3 5/8" down, and yes, parking blocks will be an issue. The test will be this weekend at the supercruise, temps are forecast to be in the mid to upper 90's ....

Comment

That dam, dam .....
            Attached Files

Comment

Good luck at the cruise. Out of curiousity, why not extend the air dam further out to the sides?
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I looked at taking it all the way out, but without more fab work, there would be nothing to mount it to on the ends. It goes from frame rail to frame rail. This one is more of a quick attempt to see if it does anything for the cooling. I have a total of an hour and 8 bucks in it so ....

Comment

I'm in on a 12* temp drop overall. Money down!
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Radiator side to radiator side... More prolly a waste?...or gets airflow away from front brkes??

Comment

Yea just under the rad .... A arms and brakes are still hangin' out in the wind.

I'd be happy w/12* ... that'd put it consistently @ 190*.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Radiator side to radiator side... More prolly a waste?...or gets airflow away from front brkes??
                        yes keeps brakes good...and brakes are an endpoint to yet another heat.

I did the same for 1781cc chugging 2400 pounds. trial and error several times.

all the way out was not very smart.

and that angle upward, not friendly..

going straight down really snaps a flow into the bay through radiator..sides of engine, the oil filter.

I also found a slick surfaced dam is a sticky one...used a bumpy polka dot looking rubber from a horsetrailer mats underside facing the wind.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

So here are the results after a few weeks of driving w/the dam.

Normal around town @ outside temps in the upper 80s/lower 90s it's down 5-8*, highway/mountain driving in same temps its 9 to 12* cooler. Obviously in stop and go traffic there is no real difference ....

What was interesting, we had a day in the upper 90s and under all driving conditions there was no real improvement in temps.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                            I'm in on a 12* temp drop overall. Money down!
                            Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                            Normal around town @ outside temps in the upper 80s/lower 90s it's down 5-8*, highway/mountain driving in same temps its 9 to 12* cooler. Obviously in stop and go traffic there is no real difference ....
                            So close, so close......
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                            X