Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351C 4v single point dual advance. Last trip to town I hit four parts stores picking stuff up. I couldn't decide which points to get. Every one looked different from each other, and none looked like the ones in the truck. The set in the truck has a pair of felt pieces, one long and one short. None of the others have that. Two have cast in place nylon cam followers, the other two are separate orangish material. How to choose?

pertronix is the only way to go.
    never have a set of points go bad again...
    HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

As long as you grease the block you should be ok, I have transfered the felt the long short one I belive is just a hole and it pulls off and you can install it on the next. I to prefer the Pertronix

The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I always thought that the white nylon stuff was cheap crap. I've seen the metal parts fall off of the plastic part, probably from heat. So I always go with the orange/brown fiber stuff.

I've never used a pertronics. I always stick with the points, or swap in a boneyard electronic from a newer version of the engine, or go all the way with an MSD.

Comment

I'll have to try that Pertronix setup someday. I've seen it recommended for old tractors like mine, but I've never had trouble working with the point setup. Keep'em filed clean and square, gapped right and be somewhere close on timing. Six volt and it starts on one or two cranks clear down to 20 below.

I love the way things work around here. I found a set of points, a rotor and a condenser in an old box under the back bench in the shop. Other stuff, too. Yeah, and spiders. I hate spiders. Anyway, those three check out as fitting the 351C. Evidently it was something the FIL had for his pickup, a 351M or 400. Does that sound right? This point set is metal with an orangy rubbing dingus. (Don't that sound perverted?) There is no little grease thingy in the box. What can I use to lube it up, or is that a must?

Comment

351C, M, 370, 400, 429 and 460 all use the same distributor so in a pinch you should be able to easily find points and/or a distributor upgrade in the future.

Comment

I just rub some dielectric on the cam not much is needed
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

or you could use the grease that's made for the job. I have a tube....20 years old...

Standard Motor Products SL-2
                Attached Files
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks for all the info. When presented with that at the local NAPA, they insisted it was only available in a HUGE tube that cost a lot and would last till the Second Coming. I have been told to use dialectric grease, 3-in-1, lithium grease, etc. Now, I do have a tube of Dow Corning 111. I'm thinking that should work. Oh, when I left O'reilly the last time, two guys were arguing over whether Vaseline or KY would work best for this. I'm thinking they were confused about just what was getting rubbed.

I stopped into a local parts store in the old hometown the other day. A guy I went to school with came up with a set of Blue Streak points for the ol' darlin.' Not very cheap, but they are sure built.

Comment

dielectric is at the parts counter at O'reilly's. "Spark plug boot grease" they call it... lubriplate waterproof grease was my go to, but only because I had it.

I'll get back to you with the results of the 45.00 Ebay China DUI ripoff... last one I did worked great. I think it will fit your application too, like has been said.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      dielectric is at the parts counter at O'reilly's. "Spark plug boot grease" they call it... lubriplate waterproof grease was my go to, but only because I had it.

I'll get back to you with the results of the 45.00 Ebay China DUI ripoff... last one I did worked great. I think it will fit your application too, like has been said.
                      If it's an HEI, get a good module. You'll really notice the difference. You will want a spare anyways. There is no warning when they quit working.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X