Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Choke

351 C Carter AFB Electric Choke.

I was mapping out circuits and such and found that the electric choke is connected to the key side of the coil. That seems like a problem to me. Doesn't that drop to 6 V or so when the engine starts? I have heard it said that the stator pin on the alternator is a good place to hook the choke up. There is nothing connected there. What voltage and quality of electricity should I expect from that pin? Can you load accessories there?

2 wire choke (marine), do what ya want, but one wire..
    have it battery run.
    the 6v may go with the resistor, no choke is a full 12v, the heat is a resistor (the ground side is always less than 12v) and it is meant to be very stable, helps the carb runtime.."mystery" invisible stuff.

a 351, that can use a big resistor choke, but ford may use disty bleed as well, and cut back on choke volts.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

On my Thunderbird, prior to the EFI, I ran a wire from the "R" terminal of the starter solenoid to the electric choke I installed on the Autolite. Sure it may get a dose of 12v during cranking, but otherwise it was powered via the same resistor wire as the coil. Of course running it from the + side of the coil will accomplish the same thing.
      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 30, 2012, 07:39 AM.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

On a Ford, the stator terminal is a good place to connect the choke. The R ignition terminal is not really a good place to put it. Chevy used electric chokes in the late 70s/early 80s, they always connected full ignition power thru an oil pressure switch, so the choke would not open if you had the key on but engine not running.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

besides the voltage drop of the resistor, the gauge of the wire is too small. I have a relay connected to the ignition switch just before the resistor wire with the relay's NO contacts controling an auxiary fuse block fed off the battery with #10 wire. The circuit for the choke is fed by a #14 wire off the fuse block. The fuse block is only enregized when the ignition switch is on. I also have my HEI fed by a #12 wire off the same fuse block. Can't have a nice hot spark with junk going in. Both work really great this way!
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
          X