Multi key, multi tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi key, multi tune?

Ok so i'm toying around with a multi car key set up so when i used one key it would have a street/calm tune and when you used the other it would set the tune to agressive so to speak. Maybe take off the govener, make it more agressive ect . I know the bugatti veyron uses a method like this to limit the speed so people don't kill themselfs. I dont really know about the time it takes to change a tune. So if anyone of you knows anything about efi tuning i would apreciate it.
    GF:Did you motor blow up?
    Me:No i took the rod and shoved it through my block on purpose...

I think getting a lock cylinder that can take two different keys and has an electrical output it either opens or grounds out would be the difficult part. Tying it in to a launch control limiter or to switch fuel tables I think would be easy from that point.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

easy way to do it would be to have a solenoid operated throttle stop, that you need another key to "turn off".
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The new boss302 has a track key option - two different engine calibrations with the two different keys.

The diesel guys have "flip chips" with up to 6 different tunes you can swap on the fly I believe - with the turn of a dial.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by award69129 View Post
          Ok so i'm toying around with a multi car key set up so when i used one key it would have a street/calm tune and when you used the other it would set the tune to agressive so to speak. Maybe take off the govener, make it more agressive ect . I know the bugatti veyron uses a method like this to limit the speed so people don't kill themselfs. I dont really know about the time it takes to change a tune. So if anyone of you knows anything about efi tuning i would apreciate it.

What kind of car / application are you talking about?
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I keep asking in these kind of threads, but what vehicle are you dealing with here?

I mean if its modern you might be able to do a bunch of splicing with a separate PCM that has been chipped or programmed for what you are looking for. I mean on ebay you can pretty much get anything. I found a place where you get a used computer that is programmed for your VIN for about 80 bucks and you power either one from said key, and the ass end to the engine harness could all be spliced together from each computer since only one would be running at a time. Might need some diodes to make sure power doesnt go back to the opposite computer on some circuits. A diode is basically a check valve that doesnt allow current to run in both directions. I'm sure there is probably an easier way, but pretty sure thats how MaGuyver would do it.

oh, if you are worried about getting or how much diodes would cost

Last edited by anotheridiot; May 31, 2012, 08:07 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Some high end cars have had Valet keys for years that do all kinds of junk to keep the Ferris Bueller scenario from happening. Might look into Vette ecm's? AI has it right afaik. They work off a diode in the key if I understood it, same like the BCM stuff that handles seat position, a/c settings, that sort of crap. You train the ECM to the key's resistance value. Maybe a resistor, hell, I can't remember. Sorry. I knew this once.

QuarterHorse has multiple tune capabilities for a lot of Ford ECM's, I'd suspect HPTuners or others can handle it for a GM ECM.

If it's a switch changing the tune, you could use a keyed switch where it takes the hotrod key to change it from slow to smokin. Come to think of it, that might make a great anti theft... an OFF position that says "up yours pal, no power to the ECM"

MS, I'm not sure it wouldn't take a storage device and LT to load it. I'll let those guys speak to it's capabilities.
              Last edited by Beagle; May 31, 2012, 08:40 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                What kind of car / application are you talking about?
                I think it's generic, as in "whatever the * will work" ?
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  I think it's generic, as in "whatever the * will work" ?
                  OK so if the car is generic, then what's the application for? he wants to slow the car down? it's not very practical to try to implement something like this on a car that doesn't have it already. Having two ECUs is a no-go unless you have a massive gang switch.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Or a 2x4 under the gas pedal, with a hasp and padlock to hold it in place.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      Or a 2x4 under the gas pedal, with a hasp and padlock to hold it in place.

a "smaht" one would rheostat the fuel pump.

the purpose of ecu is to have some memory. memory stores.

to really play that game of switching stuff, get a smarter ecu.

if I am ahead of myself and it does not exist. I'll go back to the 34 year old rochester and wait it out...even that needed a diode.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

One of those splice in the line fuel regulators....
                        Crank it down so there isnt enough fuel to do much...
                        Wanna play? Open it up...

Had one on a 57 IH PICKUP...in town.. Low setting.. Head out of town, crank it open... Had an electric pump that would blow past the needle and seat..

Comment

Its just an idea for my next and first project car i have a few leads its gana hopefully be a datsun at this point an old 240z with a v8(maybe a diesel) but at this point just a what if. The reason behind it is that i want to be able to have my car do what i want, but i want to calm it down for highway driving and for my girlfriend to use it. And pretty much the whole disel swap chip is what im looking at have a fuel saving mode, a all out, and a midway use. It is weird i admit and a lock on the pedal would work and be the cheapest method i was just looking for something diffrent got to be weird lol.
                          GF:Did you motor blow up?
                          Me:No i took the rod and shoved it through my block on purpose...

Comment

Originally posted by award69129 View Post
                            Its just an idea for my next and first project car i have a few leads its gana hopefully be a datsun at this point an old 240z with a v8(maybe a diesel) but at this point just a what if. The reason behind it is that i want to be able to have my car do what i want, but i want to calm it down for highway driving and for my girlfriend to use it. And pretty much the whole disel swap chip is what im looking at have a fuel saving mode, a all out, and a midway use. It is weird i admit and a lock on the pedal would work and be the cheapest method i was just looking for something diffrent got to be weird lol.
                            So you are talking like 70's before computers if you say Datsun? The diesel is a wrench in my knowledge though. Are we looking more at one key stock ignition, mechanical fuel pump, second key, big blaster coil, secondary electric fuel pump to raise your fuel pressure or possibly fuel injection? Two electric fuel pumps, one thru a big 4bbl carb, the other fuel pump thru fuel injectors if the 4bbl will act like your throttle plate for the air only on the injection side? I think James Bond had a car like this.....

Sounds like you might just use the second key to activate a nitrous switch.

Comment

Working...
                            X