Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To T or not to T....that's the question

Hey dudes,

I haven't written the trans swap story on Buford yet because I am still waiting on a driveshaft so I can declare the job done and begin roasting tires again. Other than the d-shaft, I have to hook up the vacuum modulator that is on the Turbo 350.

I realize that I could buy a two port vacuum fitting from Eckler's or wherever, but that would be like $25 bucks and I am wondering if I can just T-into the vacuum line that is already on the car which runs from the fitting on the rear of the intake manifold to the vacuum ball on the firewall for the heater controls. I think a T would be about 2.5 bucks, which is totally my speed.

Will the T be good enough for the time being or should I buck up for a fitting?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Since there is a diaphragm in the modulator, there is no air flow to speak of; the vacuum is just "felt", right? I don't see why you couldn't use a T.

Comment

Ya as long as your T'ing in before that ball on the firewall you should be fine......... The factory used to have vacuum T's that screwed into the intake runner that fed the modulator on the trans along with a couple of other things....... So what your doing is really no different.......

Comment

try a progressive spot..leave it on its own.

2 dollars in vacuum line.

the always on vacuum is doing nothing but...suck.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

the TH350 i swapped into my '85 monte hafter the TH200 dead a horrible death had the vacuum modualtor refranced atached with a T fitting worked fine
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Thanks boys!

Comment

Tee it close to the manifold, and notice the tubing size is a bit bigger than that used for the line you're probably planning to tee into.

This is where that box of spare brass fittings from 30 years of working on cars comes in handy....
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My Impala, when it had a th350, I had the vacuum for the trans connected the same fitting as thw vacuum gauge and brakes. My Caprice is using the factory fitting shares the th400 vacuum line with the AC ball and the brakes. I dont see it as a problem. You will know right away when it wont shift out of first. If the shift is late and harder than you want, you may be able to adjust the modulator to the desired firmness. If not, then you will need a stronger vacuum signal..
                Last edited by Scott Liggett; June 4, 2012, 07:45 PM.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Cool. It is all plumbed in and hooked up. Soon as I get the driveshaft, I will know if it works!

Comment

Working...
                  X