returning to drag racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• returning to drag racing

I am 72 and was drag racing back in 1961 thru 1964 but it is all harder now.Can someone tell me what a throttle stop is??

A crutch....it limits how far you can open the throttle, until you release the stop. So you can launch consistently.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Or, it could be a clip on the throttle cable that limits the butterflys to 9/32" so the barrel valve still has return flow and the engine doesn't over rev during the burnout.......
      If you forget to take it off it will make a 5.40 race car run 6.20's
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Squirrel's definition - although accurate - is a bit vague.

A throttle stop is a device used to limit the airflow into an engine for the purpose of slowing the car down for a predetermined amount of time during the course of the run. Using timers and solenoids, the throttle stop can allow the car to launch under full throttle (or a predetermined RPM by using a chip in conjunction with the trans brake) for a programmed amount of time (say, .6 or .8 seconds, for example) and then cut the throttle back on the engine for a specified amount of time (say 2 or 3 seconds, for example) after which, the engine returns to full throttle for the remainder of the run. Throttle stops are especially prevelant in classes like NHRA Super Street, Super Gas and Super Comp which are run on a a specific index (10.90, 9.90 and 8.90, respecitvely).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DEDTS1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	862362

Welcome back to drag racing!

Ron
        Last edited by Ron Ward; June 5, 2012, 08:51 AM.
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
          Whoops....

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Or in my case, it's a bolt under the accel pedal ....
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
              Or, it could be a clip on the throttle cable that limits the butterflys to 9/32" so the barrel valve still has return flow and the engine doesn't over rev during the burnout.......
              I wonder..................... just how would a guy know that???
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

What ever you are planning to do there are lots of classes that do not invlove throttle stops, whether heads up or brackets.

Throttle stops should never have been in anything called racing and should be banned. yesterday.

If someone mentions cross over boxes, delay units or any of that monkey business turn away and find some real racers.

Foot brake or ne-E classes are also a good start. End rant.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by cdmbill View Post
                  what ever you are planning to do there are lots of classes that do not invlove throttle stops, whether heads up or brackets.

Throttle stops should never have been in anything called racing and should be banned. Yesterday.

If someone mentions cross over boxes, delay units or any of that monkey business turn away and find some real racers.

Foot brake or ne-e classes are also a good start. End rant.

amen!
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                    What ever you are planning to do there are lots of classes that do not invlove throttle stops, whether heads up or brackets.

Throttle stops should never have been in anything called racing and should be banned. yesterday.

Foot brake or ne-E classes are also a good start. End rant.

Sounds like the derby world and sandbagging.. "HIT HARD OR STAY HOME" is what the hard core does...

I agree with ya... Flat out! All ya got..

Comment

must be for old stuff.
                      like attempting one big barrel on a super draft..of course today its all slob, that is the negative comments on throttle stop. kids forget big air on a real drafting engine.

advance can only go as fast as the engine allows...pushing boundaries needs some help.

throttle stop is simply old way. today its all retard. hammer down and pretend.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Old-Homicide View Post
                        I am 72 and was drag racing back in 1961 thru 1964 but it is all harder now.Can someone tell me what a throttle stop is??
                        A device that makes performance predictable and excitement extinct. Kind of like the rediculous coupe craze in super gas and super comp. (end old guy complaining who never went past the semis at an NHRA national or divisional event), (I enjoy full performance exhibition much more. Favorite super gas pass was the 9.17 when I turned the throttle stop off back in 1987)
                        HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
                        HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
                        FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

cant believe so many are taking this as a serious question lol.

Comment

Friends don't let friends do throttle stops. Even new folks on the BS that we haven't met yet.

Just say no to throttle stops.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

My favorite call at a drag strip...

"Calling 'no-box' class to the lanes, no-box please..."
                              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                              X