Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power consumed by power steering pump/system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power consumed by power steering pump/system?

Does anyone have any solid data on ow much power is consumed by a power steering pump? In this case a saginaw type II pump driving a Saginaw 800 box with an external cooler.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

8000 hp

Seriously, I do not know for sure. I do know for sure that the only real load that pump sees is when it HAS a load, which is when you are turning.

So effective hp loss in a straight line is very small.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

that is a big pump.

rack and pinion uses alot less.

I took apart a japanese one, little tiny flapper type things, not even an eighth...carry the whole pressure.

that is one that uses nothing, the big old steerings, there is a number.

10-15-20...someone knows.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Found this, it might help.. http://www.ehow.com/list_7269002_hor...-steering.html

The dirt/race track guys here usually loop the steering boxes to save HP. (See pic below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	looped_box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	862382

Comment

I have always heard 4-6. which sounds like alot, but if you figure 4 for the PS and 4 for the water pump, I guess it adds up, but its never like you hear the load on the motor when the AC compressor clutch kicks in with a ps pump.

but looping them just makes it a manual box doesnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
            ..but looping them just makes it a manual box doesnt it?
            Semi-manual you could say. It steers really easy when you get 1/2 way turned.

Comment

What Stiney says.

One problem with looping the line is that you have the play of the control valve to deal with....another problem is the ratio thing, which is usually different for power and manual boxes. Manuals give you more gearing to make up for the lack of power.

I don't have power steering in any of my old chevies....
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I would geuss 10 to 20 when your turning, 1 to 5 going straight
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Power box ratios suck for manual use. I can say that cause I've done it a few times. In fact, the Cadistang is the latest one to sport that trick.

Jim, do you know of any way to deal with the control valve issue?
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Well, as usual you guys anticipated where I was going as its the straight line application that I'm worrying about. 1-5 isn't worth the trouble to pull the belt off. I do have a variable ratio PS box which is a bear in tight places with no boost and the big front tires.

I've also had some issues with tossing the belts or chewing them up on occasion during first gear from the hit. I felt I had fixed the aligment but I more recently after tossing two belts at Bako realized it had a little bit of flex and therefore vibration which may have caused the belt to vacate. The adjustable tension bolt that goes from the bracket towards the motor mount in the lower right hand part of the picture had loosened up. It can't now.

I'm running a direct wrap six rib serpentine to the the PS pump and one to the alternator and then the Gilmer for the external oil/vacuum pump. I think I have solved so the mount is as solid as I can make it. We'll see at the next TnT. Tossing the PS belts scares me as it could potentially take out the oil pump belt.

I am trying to work out a simpler bypass at the pump for the drags so could leave the belt on but eliminate the resistance
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill it may be the picture there but the front of the two pulleys look at different angles can you lay a digital level on the front and read them both
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I did gain a bit of MPH on the Camaro when we removed the belt (Dave Maty's suggestion). If I kept better records I could calculate the HP gain. My PS box now looks a lot like the one in the pic, as does the Time Bomb and the SoAl Special. Seems to work OK for LSR - but it's harder to park!

Dan

Comment

This is the re-engineered support bracket. Grade 8 all thread, lock nuts at every clamping point on the attachment and the turnbuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                            Bill it may be the picture there but the front of the two pulleys look at different angles can you lay a digital level on the front and read them both
                            I don't have a digital level, a new tool to acquire, yay! But I have checked them for plum with my ancient angle finder and straightness with BluePoint blanchard ground straight edge

Comment

I haven't even looked at it, but the Escape uses an electrical assist that makes the steering pretty numb. You could power switch that.

I am not sure where my poverty line is any more. The 2400ish pound Vega's didn't need power steering even with a fairly high ratio. The Ranger (F100) I had was roughly 18.9 turns lock to lock with a manual box on it. Flaming River offers a couple of ratios - my reasoning behind a manual rack and 17" wheel was real estate, simplicity, weight. I like a slower rate for higher speed anyway, less twitchy. fwiw.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X