Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power consumed by power steering pump/system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get away from tossing belts or spraying PS fluid on a hot motor, we looped them.. Hard to steer.
    Go full manual or use an early Ford box without the cylinder...
    Now we just take our chances and hope fluid does not spray on the wrong stuff..

Comment

I agree with the comments above, that pump does not look like it's in a line with the water pump pulley.

On my Corvette, I removed the power steering - but it has a manual steering gear box and the power assist/guaranteed leaker system on it. I drove a BBC C3 vette without power steering for more than a year, and honestly, it just teaches you to keep up steering steam up. Dead stop turning sux, but anything else, it is more a benefit then a hassle.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The picture of the pulleys...it could be that the camera has a kind of wide angle lens, which distorts the image. If he's checked it with a straight edge, it's probably straight.

I don't know how to deal with the control valve slop in an unpowered power steering gear, aside from replacing it with a manual gear.

Maybe I've been driving old trucks for too many decades, but I still don't need power steering.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
          I don't have a digital level, a new tool to acquire, yay! But I have checked them for plum with my ancient angle finder and straightness with BluePoint blanchard ground straight edge
          Bill, Harbor Freight 28.00 best money you can buy for setting up drive line angles and such

Amazing deals on this Digital Angle Gauge at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Its bizarre to me how hard this is photograph well. These are just iPhone shots, i'm going to try some with the good camera and a short focal length lens just to see if I can do it. This one is newer and and is just a slightly different perspective.

I will get one of those angle finders today Jeff. They are having a 'sidewalk' sale.

Then we'll see.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I really wasn't paying attention. (AADD?). But since it was mentioned... I zoomed in to the pulleys.. Look how the belt lines up tp the pulley.. Slightly cock-eyed... Normal driving.. Prolly ok with accelerated belt wear maybe.. Could be why you spit them off at RPM's..
              Like Squirrel says.. Could be camera trickery.. This is something I "developed an eye for" ...

Comment

Working...
              X