wrapping a tube that is structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrapping a tube that is structure

I welded the heck out of a bimmer 2002 looking rear end in an old subaru, broke it 3 times before I went ape with more than several pounds of mig wire and rods.
    problem now it is hideous while being 80k psi stronger than the giant jap that made it.

How can I beautify this perma weld?

I was thinking as far as carbon fiber, simply wrapping.

can fiberglass do the same?

maybe just a tractor trailer radiator hose cut down the middle and squeeze it over, clamp it?

any ideas?

ingenuity. there is no wrong answer.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

pipe wrap (the insulation stuff) plus wide black electrical tape is your friend.... some might call it roll cage wrap
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      pipe wrap (the insulation stuff) plus wide black electrical tape is your friend.... some might call it roll cage wrap
      simple enough. that stuff is water proof too I would hope.

the pipe welded is hammered by maine year round...the tape may be something else like metal tape you get at truck stops.

thanks for simplest idea. I overthunk to brain fart.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

So you want to put lipstick on a pig? Do it right, now taht you know what you need to do to strengthen the rear go get another one and do a nice clean job of strengthening it up.
        A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Originally posted by oj View Post
          So you want to put lipstick on a pig? Do it right, now taht you know what you need to do to strengthen the rear go get another one and do a nice clean job of strengthening it up.

maine is the pig that breaks bridges. lipstick is nonexistent in this land of barbarian welding.

get back to me when you are done assuming.

think frankenstein steel for a 1.8 liter subaru that can leap 4 feet off the ground and land like in its in a bed of flowers. the 4 runner front stuts in the back are the first sign of strong enough for what i have built.

you remind me of every forum I left.

oem is for garages and flat land tours of power.

I have skeleton over a tube that remains. I want wind smoothly going over it.

wind. because the car moves.

you should see the hood edge. that still failed after welding...just 3 years.
          alot of oem is not an option one end to the other..not even the wheel wells. rally cars have an easier life.

edit:
          my dads a flat bed hauler, also going through steel trailer rails faster than a subaru can die..
          anyway, he has an old heavy duty truck tarp that he could apply to steel, little thicker than the others. He just told me I can cut whatever strips off of that. I'll wrap the tubes in it and clamp. easily removable.

the other oddity for this one is the very framing the factory built, the tube is in the wind..a jacked up factory old subaru. (the reason I kept after it- it even runts 15 inch wheels by appearance.)
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 9, 2012, 08:29 AM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

what about splitting a piece of conduit or exhaust pipe? trouble with tape and fiberglass is you gotta get all that stuff off when its time to get after it again with the welder. You can either band clamp the conduit back together or tack it back.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
              what about splitting a piece of conduit or exhaust pipe? trouble with tape and fiberglass is you gotta get all that stuff off when its time to get after it again with the welder. You can either band clamp the conduit back together or tack it back.
              true.

I have a post prior to this one, going to use tractor trailer tarp cut into pieces. I may make other stuff while I am at it. oneof those covers you see n little hach backs behind the seat on a spring loaded window shade looking pole.

the shape of the steel (proven to be boron in it) is a press of strange angles..it made the metal weak in the first place. a straight tube would be nice, but it is not.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
              X