Vacuum in an Intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum in an Intake manifold

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how putting a vacuum in an intake manifold helps air flow into the cylinders?
    Stress it till it fails.

the intake is the source of the vacuum, all I know is putting vacuum ports in the individual runners balances the vacuum to each cylinder to equalize the cylinders.

Comment

vacuum is a secret. we are not allowed to know it.

I like vacuum because it is a shredder, the longest lasting engines. The low pressure expander makes a super fuel as well. The tease of the low pressure keeps the flow.

the other end of vacuum, the exhaust...
      scavenging. two banks of cylinders notice if its sloppy. one bank tugs at another one...only it is on a pressure side after the fire.

big engines tend to ignore that stuff, overlap of 90 degree fires can delay into giant rpm ranges. A 4 cyl or less is a real lesson if you are studying this stuff.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You don't PUT vacuum into an intake manifold like you put fuel into it. Where else do you think vacuum comes from?
        Vacuum is created by pistons moving down the cylinders when the intake valves are open.
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Air flows to the low pressure from high, when the intake valve opens as the piston is going down, the higher pressure in the intake is forced into the cylinder. All motors are pressurized just some are atmospheric Pressure. This is of of the reasons cam timing is so critical. if the pressure differential is done right, the momentum of the fill will pack more air in the cylinder than It should hold, giving you a higher than 100% VE
          Last edited by JeffMcKC; June 11, 2012, 07:19 AM.
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Im just impressed that you can spell vacuum!

Comment

I'm not sure how the mechanicals work, but I have heard that the best idle quality can be achieved with 18" of vacuum in the intake. My guess is it would take a really, really, tall intake to achieve this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vacuum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	862499

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Vacuum doesn't exist, It is important to get used to pressure differential. J.Rob

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                  Air flows to the low pressure from high, when the intake valve opens as the piston is going down, the higher pressure in the intake is forced into the cylinder. All motors are pressurized just some are atmospheric Pressure. This is of of the reasons cam timing is so critical. if the pressure differential is done right, the momentum of the fill will pack more air in the cylinder than It should hold, giving you a higher than 100% VE

Ah, a man who knows his stuff! I also hate the term "back pressure".
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                    I'm not sure how the mechanicals work, but I have heard that the best idle quality can be achieved with 18" of vacuum in the intake. My guess is it would take a really, really, tall intake to achieve this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11925[/ATTACH]

Ron
                    18" of vacuum would be great! I could only fit 10" under the hood and my idle is pretty rough. Thinking about a six pack scoop to get more vacuum in.
                    Last edited by BKBridges; June 12, 2012, 02:32 PM. Reason: smiley
                    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I will add to this, that checking the intake vac is important, to see if you really need the bigger carb, if its under 1 inch of vac at WOT as it goes down the track its big enough already, if it goes over 1 inch the carb has become a restriction. Or something above the throttle plates such as a air cleaner, hood is to close blah blah blah
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                      X