Which engine to choose for Chevelle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which engine to choose for Chevelle?

Ok, here's the deal. I purchased a 1966 Chevelle and will began building it for PT next year. I had planned to put a 468 CI engine in it with BW T-10 4 speed. After PT and seeing so may LS engines in various cars I've decided to go that route. So which LS engine to choose...1,2 or 3. What are the pros and cons? Just looking for info so I can make a decision. So what say you.
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

Only 2 choices - BBB or 500 Caddy. The others have been done to death.

Not the question you asked I know but that's my opinion.

Dan

Comment

4bt cummins
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I must be blind... what is option 3?
        That said, what do you want the car to do? drive comfortably long distances? drag week? It'd be hard to argue against an aluminum head 468 as the weight vs. a cast 6.0 isn't that far apart and when either would fit without much trouble at all.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Why would want your car to be just like everybody else's? If you want to follow the crowd, go ahead. If you want to stand out, do something different. It's your car, you drive it; do what will please you.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            Why would want your car to be just like everybody else's? If you want to follow the crowd, go ahead. If you want to stand out, do something different. It's your car, you drive it; do what will please you.
            Interesting responces, but not getting to the point. It is my car and I am doing what I want with it. Just asking for some input about LS engines. My plan is to build it for drive ability, I'm old and old school, I like BB and carbs but that has been done to death. LS is new technology, at least for me. So that's where I'm coming from.

Comment

I just think a period car should at least start with the early engine. I like the less plastic look to the LS1. this is coming from a guy that took the straight 6 out of a 66 chevelle and put the right motor in, a 396. eventually we might get it running again, but at least you pay a little homage to the old girl by putting the oldest new motor in it.

Comment

I don't know a thing about the new GM engines other than they've got a lot of potential and lots of folks love them.

I would start with a wrecked pick up that had the powertrain intact. I'd pull the engine, trans, wiring, and computers from said truck and set everything into the chevelle - if you're going to go with a modern engine and drivability is your goal - you might as well get the benefit of the EFI as well.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

A '66 Chevelle with anything other than a healthy Chevy big-block... boring.
                  Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

LS has been done to death too. Put new tech on old tech. Port fuel injection, turbos, 6 speed on a 468.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Depends on your actual use of the car.

Do you intend to drive the thing on a regular basis, or want to tinker with it semi-regularly? Being serious here, I'm more of a tinkerer myself, so I like the older stuff.

If you really want to hit the road and use the car to see the USA, I'd strongly lean towards the LS swap.

Let's face it, most parts store do not stock the older stuff anymore, and who wants to wait a day for parts or come home on the hook?

Kinda depends on your sense of adventure too, doesn't it? I've met some cool people riding home in the tow-truck.....
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

It depends on what you want, lots of power cheap, or maybe a turbo, or just better mileage and drivability. I like the 5.3 and the 6.0, but if I wanted max NA power I would go with the 6.0, if I wanted to turbo it then a 5.3 will do it cheap and make stupid power. I can get either of them for about $600 up here, so that is the plan for one of my trucks. Finding an LS1 is a bit harder because they stopped building them a while back, and most of the F bodys and Vettes either still have them or have broken them. Personally if I had an early Chevelle I would go with a cathedral port 6.0, maybe with a stroker kit to bump it to 400ci or so.

I think its funny that people say the LS has been done to death, but then they say stick a mouse or a rat in it instead. I think they are getting the idea of how Pontiac guys think when they see a 350 sbc in a GTO. Might be because the LS engines are more Pontiac and Buick than Chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                          I think its funny that people say the LS has been done to death, but then they say stick a mouse or a rat in it instead.
                          x2

just because theyre in the magazines doesnt mean there are a million of them rolling around on the streets

throw an iron 6.0 in it with a good set of heads and a cam and be happy, carb or efi is up to you
                          formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
                          http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            LS has been done to death too. Put new tech on old tech. Port fuel injection, turbos, 6 speed on a 468.
                            You got my attention with that, I could still use the 468 and get creative with it from there, Thanks that worth pondering over!

Comment

Out of the LS choices, I'd go for the inches. An L92 in all aluminum and figure out how to drive the VVT would be my LS derivative of choice if I were going that way. Helluva engine.

Gear vendors on your 4 speed and the BBC would be interesting too, but I'd wonder how long it would last with boost (the gearbox, not the o/d). I was reading on Muncies and finding you have to spend a bit on them if you start making nutty power? I'd say a turbo on the 468 with 8 gears to choose from would make you grin.

Weird thing is, I'd back off the inches some. I'm not BBC literate, but can you put a forged 396 crank in it and wind up with 427 inches? The turbo(s) would take care of torque (and then some) if they are the correct size.

Todd - I see more 302 Ford in the LS?
                              Last edited by Beagle; June 16, 2012, 06:14 AM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X