No announcement yet.

Pinion Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I can help let me know, I will do what I can, and on Drag Week too.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Its important to understand what the driveshaft is doing - it wants to spin deadnuts straight and true. It don't care nothing from shit about universals. If you unhook the drive shaft from the pinion yoke and let out the clutch it will snap straight and stay there spinning and you'll wonder if it is spining or not - that is how true it will be.
      Now, think about how the video starts, the pinion is pointed down about 3ish degress, when the clutch is let out the driveshaft with all that torque try to come straight and true to the tailshaft of the tranny - you can see it happen - the pinion is jerked upward and that drives the rear tire into the asphalt. If the pinion were pointed upward then the reverse would happen - just like in a mustang i believe - it'll try to lift the rear tires off the pavement.
      The driveshaft will spin straight and true from the point that it receives its' energy (the tranny tailshaft). When you try to set your motor and tranny to 'aim' at the rear end the driveshaft don't care, it wants to run straight and true. Play with a gyroscope and it'll give you a notion of how powerful a force it is.
      A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Ummmm Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
          Ummmm Nope.
          Come on Jeff we can't just take that as an answer, you got to explain what isn't right or it just looks like you want to argue........

Also in that video that is a monoleaf car, is their less movement with multileaf's??.........

Comment

Ummmm Nope.
            What do you mean, nope, to what? The descrption (i'm not good at explaining, i do know of what i speak) is what occurs in the first milliseconds of when it launched. So if you thought i was doing a running commentary, then 'nope' is right.
            Speak up, we all learn and theres' no downside.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              Come on Jeff we can't just take that as an answer, you got to explain what isn't right or it just looks like you want to argue........

Also in that video that is a monoleaf car, is their less movement with multileaf's??.........
              Its a Multi leaf car

Comment

Originally posted by oj View Post
                What do you mean, nope, to what? The descrption (i'm not good at explaining, i do know of what i speak) is what occurs in the first milliseconds of when it launched. So if you thought i was doing a running commentary, then 'nope' is right.
                Speak up, we all learn and theres' no downside.
                The pinion will always turn up even if your at 0* it will then turn away from straightening out the shaft and joints. The gear and tire rotation the pinion will aways try to climb the ring gear the drive shaft will never over come that. The susp holding it might depending on the deflection of the bars used, thats why a leaf spring car needs more its not fixed.

Comment

The pinion will always turn up even if your at 0* it will then turn away from straightening out the shaft and joints. The gear and tire rotation the pinion will aways try to climb the ring gear the drive shaft will never over come that. The susp holding it might depending on the deflection of the bars used, thats why a leaf spring car needs more its not fixed.
                  I agree, the pinon will try to climb the ring gear. Yes, it will turn up - that is the effect of climbing the ring gear and rotating around the ring gear perimeter.
                  I am describing what is occuring before the pinion has begun to turn, what the driveshaft is going thru at that moment when the shit happens. In that millisecond the driveshaft tries to dead straight, the contact point to the ring and pinion are below the axle centerline, and that tries to rotate the rear tire into the pavement - like a toggle movement.
                  To illustrate, if you go positive with the pinion angle the tires will try to lift and you'll spin the tires.
                  The suspension has not come into play, makes little difference until the rear gears begin to actually rotate and react to the rotation but before then lots of shit has occurred.

Comment

Another thing to ponder since we are on the subject of ring and pinion, is that the energy that is being used for the pinion to climb the ring gear is wasted energy. You have to figure out how to translate that energy into forward motion.
                    I realize that the car in the video has class restrictions and the suspension stuff make it easier for the pinion to climb the ring gear than turn the axle. But if there were an identical car in the other lane whose axle turned instead of the pinion gear climbing the ring gear then the car in the video will never catch him, right?

Comment

That depends.....

I have been through all of this for 35 years, and am worn out with everyones theroy. Take no offence, but I dont want to keep rehashing it all. I am not trying to be a ass Please Understand. You over complicating it. Control what you can control and dont worry about what you cant.

Comment

oj I'm sorry but your theory is just wrong. This basic Newtonian physics, bodies at rest tend to remain at rest, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, etc. So the nano-second before the pinion turns nothing has happened, but when it does all the parts try move the least amount and in the direction of least resistance. Suspension theory is all about directing the energy, usually described as torque to do the most work with the least loss such as wheelies, twisted frames, too little tire pressure.

To your drive shaft example and gyroscopes: a gyroscope works when it's spinning not when it isn't. If you pull the string on a child's top it doesn't go dead straight it moves around until it reaches optimal speed and then settles in until it loses momentum; same with the drive shaft. Pinion angle adjustments are one of many settings that are made to effectively channel the torque efficiently and to minimize damage from that torque working against, in this example, the u-joints.

If you want to test this set up you car with static positive pinion angle and set up a video recorder as shown in the You Tube clip. I suspect you'll get the same rotation of the housing but likely encounter some other problems up to and including u-joint failure.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                        X