Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of the transmission stop leaks actually work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of the transmission stop leaks actually work?

The C10 has a couple transmission leaks - it seemed to be leaking from the tailshaft extension, so I patched that up with a bit of silicone. But it's still leaking a bit and I think some of it is coming from the front seal. I could drop the transmission and replace it, but if I can get away with taking the lazy way out - are there any transmission fixes in a bottle that actually work instead of doing more harm than good?

Lucas is good stuff.

I am a firm DISBELIEVER in snake oils, but on a bet I tried their powersteering product. It was a scenario of buy a $300 steering box, or take the bet and buy a $3 bottle of Lucas, either way I couldn't lose.

And the darn stuff worked AWESOMELY. And permanently, that box went another 100,000 miles before the vehicle rusted away.

I now put their entire line in every vehicle I own. The trans stuff works well for what you need.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
      The C10 has a couple transmission leaks - it seemed to be leaking from the tailshaft extension, so I patched that up with a bit of silicone.
      Oh my.....
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The additives are good for the innards, but I have yet to see anything that will stop leaks ..... 'specially on a trans.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Since we're in McGyver-mode, I think I can safely say now I've stopped a tranny from leaking through the gearselectorshaft by pouring in a cup full of 'only-once-used' brakefluid...
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I thought about mentioning the brake fluid trick, but I was afraid he'd actually try it.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              I thought about mentioning the brake fluid trick, but I was afraid he'd actually try it.
              Matt's not a retard - perhaps make a suggestion if you have one? otherwise...
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Ok, I'll suggest the obvious: replace the leaking seals with new ones.
                Last edited by squirrel; July 6, 2012, 11:46 AM.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

yep, that's the simple one.

I haven't found Lazarus in a bottle that seals a transmission....
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I did that on a friends Camaro with a badly leaking front seal. 4 oz of brake fluid swelled it up and it stopped leaking instantly. Never leaked again.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

If I can rule out a leaking pan gasket I might just try the brake fluid trick on my SP400 because I'm willing to do most "stays in the car" fixes before I have to make the hard choice of spending the time and effort to swap to a 4L80E (and all the changes in driveshafts, crossmembers, and mounts that entails) and pouring money into the SP400 which was only supposed to be "temporary".

Before you say anything, yes I've replaced all the seals I can get to with the trans still in the car...
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

for an old c10, the nitrile seals will be shredded by stop leaks that work.
                        "poly-" somethings are necessary to play the miracle games.

pluck the doctors glove condom material out and put in some real gaskets.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                        X