The Beast in the Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beast in the Bushes

The old dear is an early sixties Econoline six with a four on the column. I trimmed down the brush around it. The roof is caved from years of snow. All eight doors function. As you all know by now, I know some stuff and am blissfully ignorant of other things. I stuck in battery, sprayed some starting fluid down the throat, and cranked it. I expected nothing. She fired. Just for a few seconds, but DAMN! This vehicle has been sitting in those bushes for over thirty years and she fired? Heck, the tires are sunk into the detritus up to the rims. The roof braces are broken. Cats have been having kittens in this little nursery. She fired? Where do I start? I was going to do something more radical, but stock or near stock is looking more interesting.

Dig it out, change all the fluids. add brakes and tires that hold air. Drive as is. Scare you neighbors and old ladies
    used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

first step is to get it up off the ground, and see about getting the wheels to turn, then get air in the tires (or other wheels/tires if needed). Then you can get it out in the open and take a good look at it....is the gas tank still there? is there any of the "frame" left? etc
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It has side doors on both sides? That is a rare piece and worth saving for sure drag it out and post a pic or two of it. Back in the day i had one and stuck a 289 in it with cragars all around and big meats (well, big for back then) on the rear. Very trick piece and wish i still had it. But it didn't have doors on both sides, i vaguely recall seeing one other that way - they were delivery vans where you could load from one side and unload from the other.
        A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

You big tease .... we need pics !!!!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I like the way you people think <G>. There are pictures of the ol' girl in the garage. Lessee if this link works:

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...ne-Eight-doors.

I may have time this week to clear it out a bit. If so, I'll post some better pictures. I had occasion to talk to the last owner the other day. He parked it there in 1982 and it was running then. He said he had a few stories from back in the day. I'm gonna listen to those, you betcha! He said its mine now and enjoy it as much as he did.
            Last edited by Yardpilot; July 8, 2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

neat! You can tell by the area on the front where the paint is chipped off, that it had some bodywork done in the past, also you can see different color at the seams, it's been repainted. They probably filled the holes for the emblems. Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, you can probably save it...but you'll need to give it a good looking over on the bottom side.

3 speed on the column, that was pretty common back then. The only 4 speed column shifters were on imports.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

cool.
                as.
                hell.

Why the hell has every American vehicle manufacturer completely lost the ability to build something cool? Cool died in 1970 IMO.
                Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                X