Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material tech

Okay, so...

What is the "plastic" bumpers on newer cars made from?

What can one do if ones wife drove thier pride and joy into a drainage ditch and
    tore the shit out of and dented said "plastic" bumper?

Will fiberglass sheet and resin stick ...maybe some stop drills at the crack, hit the abckside up with soem glass then sand and blend?

With the cost of paint and a new bumper being close to 500 bucks I dont see me buying one unless I can get a smoking deal on the bumper. Maybe a salvage yard unit but the yards out here are pricey and only save a few bucks over new.

Thoughts?
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

If it's just dented, you can push the urethane back out into shape, but do it soon...it takes a set after a while.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

If I recall, there is a specific product to fix the problem. Your local paint and body supplier should be able to help.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Sometimes heat helps push it back out if you have a heat gun. A hairdryer might even do it. Some of the bumper reconditioning shops are now reconditioning plastic bumpers if you can't get it fixed. The plastic can even be welded with the proper equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
          Sometimes heat helps push it back out if you have a heat gun. A hairdryer might even do it. Some of the bumper reconditioning shops are now reconditioning plastic bumpers if you can't get it fixed. The plastic can even be welded with the proper equipment.
          interesting...I know a good shop...might have to drop in. thanks!
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

how bad is it? We fixed the bumper on the old Crown Vic a couple times, it got damaged on both sides, all we did was straighten it and it looked ok. But without pics....we can't see what you're up against. If it's a mess, you probably need to save up some pennies. Or talk to the insurance agent, if the deductible is low enough.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

I am still working 25 year old plastic..
              A heat gun shaped to take hard creases out, and then, holding my nose while it was very hot..a mix of fiber bondo stuff and run away. got back to it later, sanded painted, been there ever since. the fiber bondo stuff ended up flexibly embedded.
              unintentional outcome. did darn good.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 9, 2012, 11:31 AM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It's a rubberized plastic. Our fleet cars keep the body shop busy. If the bumper is dented, it's probable the foam backing did too. Might want to pull the bumper off and replace the foam during repairs. Also, make sure the mounting bolt areas weren't torn out by the accident.

When you paint, you have to use a flex agent in the paint otherwise it will crack quickly.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

This is at the bottom of the bumper, there is no support structure or foam backing...its just the plastic dangling out in the wind...its torn in three or 4 spots with a baseball sized dent in it...what I found odd is that it flexes like plastic but if you look at where its torn it looks fiberous.

I suspect that a good shop can fix this but it might be worth it to replace it as time in an autobody shop and paint all cost money too..might end up being cheaper in the long run to buy a new bumper and have it painted.

I wont file a claim, I have a 500/500 and it just isnt worth it. If I had a 250/250 it would be a no brainer but the monthly cost of that is 45 bucks a month...as often as I file claims...it is not worth the extra 500+ a year.

Comment

maybe you could pop rivet a piece of aluminum angle inside it along the lower edge. Hokey...but might make it look better for now.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

They still sell that 'UV activated' Bondo out there?

Works great in the AZ sun.

Can't ever find it on the shelf up here in the arctic wilds of new f&^%$#kin' jersey.
                      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Oh, and btw... I'd make the wifey do the sanding. At your own risk of course.
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                        X