Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn on high beams, car shuts off

Does anyone remember what does that?
    I recently hooked up ignition CDI, all is well.Decided to try everything..lo and behold. Turn on high beams, car shuts off...and clock on the radio won't go out even after car is off.

going to take radio out, that may have an excuse.. I had a snake going around above it adding a wire along the trail.

EDIT
    had to think back some time..

15th year, same models. This year is different. I have grey hairs and want to sleep more.

to shock the system stumps a few thngs. could be voltage regulator, a relay faking an injury..I really kicked it around today, a risc function in an ignition box..a demand for fuel pump at all times.
    the clock alone could send a buzz for days. I'll know when it is ready. I ususally unplug the battery memory keepr on the delco radio until it is. That is the only drain..the radio gets stumped first thing to big changes. The battery was so bunged at the terminals, the volt gauge reads different after cleaning.

same old stuff. except for me..my memory is terrible.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 9, 2012, 10:33 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Barry, the first thing I'd do is make sure it's killing the spark... although in a carb'd engine I guess that's all it can be?

Then you need to look at the CDI box with a voltmeter while it's up and running, make it die again. Either you have a ground wire going to the box that's now seeing +12v, or either your switched +12v or primary (fat wire) +12v going into the CDI box must be going to zero.

Be looking for that ground that switches to +12v though, i've seen this before. Most folks don't realize that if you plug ground AND power both to a 12v source, that the device sees "zero" difference between them and it's the same as shutting that device off.

Good luck!
    Last edited by dieselgeek; July 9, 2012, 01:36 PM.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
      Barry, the first thing I'd do is make sure it's killing the spark... although in a carb'd engine I guess that's all it can be?

Then you need to look at the CDI box with a voltmeter while it's up and running, make it die again. Either you have a ground wire going to the box that's now seeing +12v, or either your switched +12v or primary (fat wire) +12v going into the CDI box must be going to zero.

Be looking for that ground that switches to +12v though, i've seen this before. Most folks don't realize that if you plug ground AND power both to a 12v source, that the device sees "zero" difference between them and it's the same as shutting that device off.

Good luck!
      this is an old sube. the wiring, as intimidating as it might be..has open ends that do nothing everywhere. in fact narrowing down the EFI cable I borrowed froma previous car was greater than 50% not in use, cleaned right up to do a very big job.

I finally remembered what does that for the sube with no ecm...
      there is more than one 20 amp fuse in the box. Ordering a pile of 15s, fresh young ones. the only fuses blown in 25 years are me playing around with stuff, I slapped in the twenties. the headlights for these were a huge selling point back then, and could still surpass even the crazy games with the gas lit bulbs today. 65 watt maximum. If I am not mistaken, a relay clicks to be sure it has its own realm (high beam only). they are very large, glass encased, and in charge. The twenty amp fuses tricks it to not click to safe path.

its like a cat chasing its own tail..it meets it sometimes, only if I made the mistake (it is never a short). Another cool thing, is the clock crystal which this buggy never had. it will be shaking 60 hertz for a few days. getting fuses correct is the cure.
      this car is so tight, I had to live wire the carb to keep the system from getting sucked into the venturi (it became the stongest ground)

the ecm type clock stomps all of that, stays in charge. Am liking this alot.. a modern setup, but described as old. Now I can play with other gadets if I want to...add things as I go. The ignition is the most awesome thing I have done for this. surpasses the magnet wheel, the spfi hidden magnet disty...and the stand alone old school. No coughs even on the big carb.

I still go long enough intervals to forget what did that with the lights. Fuses are too large, and too many. When just one gadget burns on this, any relay, etc..its like half the car disappears. the silly games do get extra thought. this is one of those times.

all is working. the high beam stuff is an old anomoly. Must respect the layout of fuse box sticker.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 9, 2012, 03:13 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X