Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ohhhh that smell, cant you smell that smell" {mildew/mold}

"The smell that surrounds youuuuuuuuuu"

Anyhow, Dad and I started digging in on his 70 chevelle. It was in storage inside a garage for about 7 years i think. Anyhow the interior naturally smells like mold/mildew. The actual shape of the interior is very good, it just has a smell and a bit of surface mildew here and there, nothing too bad though. I was wondering if there is anyway to get this smell out without completely going through the interior and replacing everything? Is there a product to get rid of this? He is eventually going to do the interior but wanted to wait a few years until everything else is done. What say you? Is there somthing I can do here, any suggestions to rid this gem of its pungent odor?? Any help will be great, thanks

Re: "Ohhhh that smell, cant you smell that smell" {mildew/mold}

Gasoline and a match? (sorry, not helpful)

Comment

lol, try tough stuff, and some simple green... both can be bought just about anywhere. If that doesn't work see ^^^^^^ lol

Comment

at work cars with water leaks we use activated charcoal from the pet store. comes in gallon jug, we just open them, and let it sit for a few days. seems to work. Doug
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Hide 2 or 3 bounce (fabric softener) under the seats and leave it closed up for a few days....this will eliminate a variety of odors.
          Rick

Comment

When I drove cross country in a semi, one time we transported fish in a refer trailer, and then went to pick up other goods. Fish smell will get into what ever else is put in as a load and then it's hard to sell the product. We were sent away, and told we could not get a load until the truck didn't smell. We had it steamed cleaned and it still smelled. Another driver told us to use coffe grounds all over the trailer, spread it around and sweep it up, then have it steamed claened. It smell like coffe but the rotten fish smell was gone, and when it dried it had a faint smell of coffee, and was good enough to get reload for our trip home.

Comment

You can take some ground coffee spread on a paperplate or two, roll up the windows for a few days and this has worked getting rid of cigarette and cigar smoke odors. Might work for mildew. :-\

Comment

Arm@Hammer baking soda will also help eliminate odor's.

Comment

I know you said you didn't want to replace stuff Nick, but new repop carpet is CHEAP. That is what finally did it for my Camaro.

Comment

Activated charcoal is what they used to use in Funeral homes
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

i have used they coffee grounds in my cars when i go to get rid of them since i smoke in them it works great for getting rid of odors.

Comment

Keep in mind that mold/mildew is alive.

To get rid of its smell, you first have to kill its source.

If the mold/mildew is on a color-fast surface, use Clorox & water, 1:10 ratio.

If the mold/mildew is on a non-color-fast fabric or material,
                        use ninety-percent (90%) Isopropyl Alcohol from your drugstore.

Soak & blot the mildewed areas 3-4 times over 3-4 days.

Then, after you've killed the source of the smell,
                        apply a citrus-based cleaner ("Citrus Scrub") at 50% strength
                        over the same areas. Soak & blot a couple of times.

That takes care of the cause & cures the problem at its source.

Now would be the time to de-odorize the car. Charcoal & Arm
                        & Hammer are great...just make sure the car windows & doors
                        are shut for a week or so for them to work.

So, after all this, the car's interior should have no residual
                        moldy smell. If you want to now add & keep a particular
                        scent, one stealthy method is get a couple of 4"x4" microfiber
                        cloths, dampen them w/a nice-smelling liquid of your choice,
                        and place one beneath the DS & PS seats.

We dampen ours w/Zymol Car Wash liquid. Very fresh & "low-key",
                        w/a new-car-like aroma. HTH --- Cheers!

Comment

My elcamino picked up a smell in "Yuicaipa" CA. It was the biggest find of early T and A dirt track parts I ever found. The smell remains, it's like the meano picked up a frickin virus that day, something in that Yuicaipa barn dust that just stinks. I'll fix that when the big block is done. ;D

Comment

It ain't the car, it's the town.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop
                              Keep in mind that mold/mildew is alive.

To get rid of its smell, you first have to kill its source.

If the mold/mildew is on a color-fast surface, use Clorox & water, 1:10 ratio.

If the mold/mildew is on a non-color-fast fabric or material,
                              use ninety-percent (90%) Isopropyl Alcohol from your drugstore.

Soak & blot the mildewed areas 3-4 times over 3-4 days.

Then, after you've killed the source of the smell,
                              apply a citrus-based cleaner ("Citrus Scrub") at 50% strength
                              over the same areas. Soak & blot a couple of times.

That takes care of the cause & cures the problem at its source.

Now would be the time to de-odorize the car. Charcoal & Arm
                              & Hammer are great...just make sure the car windows & doors
                              are shut for a week or so for them to work.

So, after all this, the car's interior should have no residual
                              moldy smell. If you want to now add & keep a particular
                              scent, one stealthy method is get a couple of 4"x4" microfiber
                              cloths, dampen them w/a nice-smelling liquid of your choice,
                              and place one beneath the DS & PS seats.

We dampen ours w/Zymol Car Wash liquid. Very fresh & "low-key",
                              w/a new-car-like aroma. HTH --- Cheers!

All this works really well and it also doesn't hurt if by some chance you can .let it sit in direct sunlight and barely crack the windows.it dries everything out real well and mold/mildew do not like dry/sunny conditions at all.

Or let the mice move in you'll NEVER smell the mold or mildew again! Yukk!

Comment

Working...
                              X