Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Daily Driver

1973 Ford F100 351c 4v c6.

Getting uneven tire wear, most obvious on the inside of right front tire. The right side, viewed from the front, appears to tip in at the top, as does the left though not as pronounced. Camber issue? Bushings? This truck came with a 240 6 3spd. Between the age and the weight, I'm thinking I need new coils. If so, what should I look at for replacement? I do not want to jack the vehicle up or end up any higher than level. Rears at the same time? Somewhere down the road I want to build a flatbed for her. Would I be wasting time and money to change those now? How about adding a leaf?
    I have been told that I should get coils for a 2" raise to get her to sit level. Is that accurate? What else, at a minimum (money issues) should be replaced/refreshed at the same time? It looks like nothing I can't do in the driveway, but clue me in. Are spring compressors the way to go?

Still got to get to replace that rag joint. How much of a PITA is that?

Regards,

Yardpilot

I am guessing this a a twin i beam truck? if you want a stock height truck, I would get some new V8 Springs for it. I not sure how the flat bed will effect the ride height of the truck I guess it depends on the weight of the new bed. If you put too tall of a spring the tires will lean out at the top and they will wear on the out side.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

I second the recommendation for new stock springs, assuming you have not added substantial weight to the truck compared to what the springs were designed to carry.

You need to check the steering linkage and the suspension pivot bushings for looseness.

I would guess that you don't need a spring compressor to change the springs, just remove the shock, and jack up the truck till the spring is loose and remove the spring clamps. But I've never actually done one...read up on it and look at how it works first.

And get it aligned after everything is right. Tires are real expensive compared to alignments.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
      X