No announcement yet.

opinions on block wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran Olds for about 10 years. I would pass on that engine you have shown. A year and a half ago, I would have given you a 455- but they are all gone now. Look for a 455 or 425- they can still be found. 455's create a lot of torque.

I have a 307 that I traded for that supposedly came out of a early 80's Hurst/Olds if you want it. I have never cranked it. I traded a carb for it but you can have it if you want to travel to the middle of Alabama for it. I may also still have a set of J heads there as well. PM me if you are interested.
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post

I have a 307 that I traded for that supposedly came out of a early 80's Hurst/Olds if you want it. I have never cranked it. I traded a carb for it but you can have it if you want to travel to the middle of Alabama for it. I may also still have a set of J heads there as well. PM me if you are interested.
      "J" heads and a 307, wow thats like handing someone a slippery rope thats hanging off a cliff!

Comment

I'm trying to replace the 307/7 combo in my wagon. The torque capabilities of the 455 is why I want one. The car will be a family ride but I want it to be enjoyable too.

I found a 350 in a 68-72 Cutlass yesterday. I'm not going to pursue it, I just know where it's at, and it probably won't go anywhere soon judging where I found it.

There are at least two pull-it-yourself yards close, I just haven't been able to go do the searching.

I'm not opposed to a roadtrip to get one as long as it's worth the effort.

Then there's the swap in a Chevy option that would be easier since I already have three spares, but I'm trying to keep it stock looking.

Thanks for the replies!
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

What is the motor going into? The 350 mentioned above is a good motor and would be a direct replacement for the 307, it's also much better than a 403. If you have the room for a 455 I would wait for a decent one to come around. They are harder to find but at the same time the market for them is smaller. We just came across an Olds 455 that was rebuilt and left sitting in a garage for $500. The insides look pretty good but we are going to tear it apart and go through it anyway just to make sure. Most of the 455's in my area go between $250-500 for a rebuildable long block to $1,600 and up for a good runner. Bill's book is very good but he is into building horse power and he is pretty hard on some of the factory parts. Most of the big blocks can make decent power (300-350hp)pretty easy but it will cost a little more. Anything over 400hp and it starts to get real expensive.

Good luck in your hunt.

Comment

Recipient is an 88 Caprice wagon. I plan on going through anything I get even if I hear it run first. I don't want to put it in and pull it agian in a few months.

There are several on eBay that I feel are overpriced.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I didnt read this earlier..
              I wil agree 455's are sweet..
              We like big blocks for their torque.. But not for their inability (usually) to run waterless.. No matter the breed
              Don't blow off the 350's...derby guys swear on them.. Have seen some in mangled cars still running waterless after 15-30 minutes..
              403's do not last for some reason.. Never saw one apart, but do know of a guy who put (he says a built) one in his car.. Claims he over revved it in the heat race... it did not last 3 hits
              Why not go Caddy? 500 ci stock.. Lots torque.. Not much in hop ups so not too likely to beef it up.. You'll like it.. Or 472,,

Comment

Most of the big blocks can make decent power (300-350hp)pretty easy but it will cost a little more. Anything over 400hp and it starts to get real expensive.
                Stock Toro engines were 400 horse, 70 W30s were 370HP, cam, headers, intake and carb, good pistons and your right there. Basically a rebuild.

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                We like big blocks for their torque.. But not for their inability (usually) to run waterless.. No matter the breed
                Don't blow off the 350's...derby guys swear on them.. Have seen some in mangled cars still running waterless after 15-30 minutes..
                403's do not last for some reason.. Never saw one apart, but do know of a guy who put (he says a built) one in his car.. Claims he over revved it in the heat race... it did not last 3 hits
                Why not go Caddy? 500 ci stock.. Lots torque.. Not much in hop ups so not too likely to beef it up.. You'll like it.. Or 472,,
                403s are webbed around the crank and are junk, i'll be glad when the last one explodes!
                All kinds of hop ups for Caddy engines now but other than being different why bother?
                I would hold out for a 455 because with a mild rebuild you are going to gain significantly just from the cubic inch and stroke, stay away from junk emission "J" heads they are like going backwards on a rebuild!

Comment

As was mentioned earlier, don't forget about the 425. The 425 in '66 (the 2 barrel version in the big cars) had 310 hp and something like 450lb/ft of torque at around 2500 rpm.... and the one in my 4400 lb 4 door Delta 88 got 17mpg on the highway. ... and I read somewhere that all 425's had steel cranks.
                  A minor camshaft change and a 4 barrel, and it would be plenty of fun in just about any car you can fit it in.

I don't do Ebay, but if you type in the search box on Craigslist, you may be surprised. The search feature works quite well.

Comment

(Stock Toro engines were 400 horse, 70 W30s were 370HP, cam, headers, intake and carb, good pistons and your right there. Basically a rebuild.)

Don't forget that these numbers are gross hp numbers, the numbers I mentioned are net hp. When you are looking for a deal also make sure you look into the availability of after market parts. I am rebuilding the 400 that goes in my 442 and finding a good set of pistons is a PITA, the 425 may fall into the same category. I can find pistons in std, and most over bore sizes but they are all replacement quality cast pieces. There are some forged units out there but mainly for 350's and 455's or $$$. This may not be an issue for your application but just a heads up. I am sure you will be happy with what ever Olds motor you end up with and doing your home work first is a great way to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      I was gonna say 500 Cad at some point, but they are rare down here. There are parts from MTS - a lot really... old story about speed and money.

Searchtempest.com will scour every craigslist and ebay add within whatever radius of your zip code. Major big time enabler! There were a helluva lot more 455's than I would have thought for 200.00 complete!
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
                        "J" heads and a 307, wow thats like handing someone a slippery rope thats hanging off a cliff!
                        Why do you think I still have them? Going to the crusher when I go next time.

425 parts are scarce. I was planning on building one at one time and had some custom pistons made since no one sells new ones (forged- did not look for cast). 455's have a lot more parts available.

As for Bill Travato's book- it is ok but it is written as someone said, for performance. I got more technical info out of Joe Mondello's book. It has a lot more stock technical info.
                        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by R442 View Post
                          (Stock Toro engines were 400 horse, 70 W30s were 370HP, cam, headers, intake and carb, good pistons and your right there. Basically a rebuild.)

Don't forget that these numbers are gross hp numbers, the numbers I mentioned are net hp.
                          Well yea there are gross HP numbers no one cares what horse power they have at idle!
                          All engines are advertised peak horsepower at there optimum max RPM.

Comment

What does net hp have to do with idle?

Comment

Originally posted by R442 View Post
                              What does net hp have to do with idle?
                              They are both irreverent and useless.
                              Net rating didn't start until 1971 so if a 1970 W30 says 370 hp that means peak horsepower at the maxium RPM.
                              In 1971 a 442 had 340 horse power net which was measured at a lower RPM that kept it within a federal regulated set of guide lines.
                              Peak HP even with 8.5 compression was still 360 but wasn't measured there so not an issue and would pass emissions testing.
                              So in closing a 1969 455 Toro engine made 400 true horsepower. schooled.

Comment

Well I guess I should have been more specific and said 300-350hp to the wheels, which is where today's cars measured. If you are talking engines alone on a stand then yes it would be 400-450hp.

Comment

Working...
                                X