Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocketman
    replied
    Thanks, I have been casually looking. They want that much or more for just the engine around here. That's for one that "ran when pulled", but now is partially disassembled. Cool that you made a father/son day of it.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    $500 plus about six hours of road trip...made it a father/son day...and he LOVED it

Leave a comment:

• Rocketman
    replied
    Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
    Just an update.
    Patience paid off in the long-run. I found a running 455/th400 for a very good price.

Nice score...Out of curiosity, what did you end up having to pay for the combo?

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by oldsman71 View Post
    looks pretty clean to me!!
    Much cleaner than the 14yr newer 307 it's replacing.

Thanks for looking guys. Progress may be slow but I will try to update as reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• oldsman71
    replied
    looks pretty clean to me!!

Leave a comment:

• greenXpress
    replied
    Let the FUN begin.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Looks like a nice motor... Really clean inside!
    Good things come to those who wait

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Just an update. I greatly appreciate everyone's responses, advice, and help. Patience paid off in the long-run. I found a running 455/th400 for a very good price.

This is the dirty side.

I made the scratches inside the valve cover, it didn't come off that way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 68scott385; May 29, 2014, 09:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied

I'm not 100% on your zip code, but this was a 200 mile radius of 40209.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/3087505055.html jetboat 455 for 350. I'd widen my search up personally. They're still pretty widely available.

Leave a comment:

• skullbucket
    replied
    Originally posted by R442 View Post
    Well I guess I should have been more specific and said 300-350hp to the wheels, which is where today's cars measured. If you are talking engines alone on a stand then yes it would be 400-450hp.
    A Toro being front wheel drive is 400 at the wheels LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• R442
    replied
    Well I guess I should have been more specific and said 300-350hp to the wheels, which is where today's cars measured. If you are talking engines alone on a stand then yes it would be 400-450hp.

Leave a comment:

• skullbucket
    replied
    What does net hp have to do with idle?
    They are both irreverent and useless.
    Net rating didn't start until 1971 so if a 1970 W30 says 370 hp that means peak horsepower at the maxium RPM.
    In 1971 a 442 had 340 horse power net which was measured at a lower RPM that kept it within a federal regulated set of guide lines.
    Peak HP even with 8.5 compression was still 360 but wasn't measured there so not an issue and would pass emissions testing.
    So in closing a 1969 455 Toro engine made 400 true horsepower. schooled.

Leave a comment:

• R442
    replied
    What does net hp have to do with idle?

Leave a comment:

• skullbucket
    replied
    (Stock Toro engines were 400 horse, 70 W30s were 370HP, cam, headers, intake and carb, good pistons and your right there. Basically a rebuild.)

Don't forget that these numbers are gross hp numbers, the numbers I mentioned are net hp.
    Well yea there are gross HP numbers no one cares what horse power they have at idle!
    All engines are advertised peak horsepower at there optimum max RPM.

Leave a comment:

• Orange65
    replied
    Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
    "J" heads and a 307, wow thats like handing someone a slippery rope thats hanging off a cliff!
    Why do you think I still have them? Going to the crusher when I go next time.

425 parts are scarce. I was planning on building one at one time and had some custom pistons made since no one sells new ones (forged- did not look for cast). 455's have a lot more parts available.

As for Bill Travato's book- it is ok but it is written as someone said, for performance. I got more technical info out of Joe Mondello's book. It has a lot more stock technical info.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X