355 and 406 build question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 355 and 406 build question.

Did a search but still would like a fresh set of opinions and ideas. I recently acquired a 406 sbc (think it's the 4 bolt, 3 plugs on the block) and am having a hard time deciding on heads. My budget is somewhat limited, no brodix or AFR's for me, and am leaning toward either new vortecs ($600.00) or possibly risking a set of Prostar heads ($620.00 complete).

Realistically this will be a weekend cruiser and light strip use but has to be streetable for the Power Tour. Goal is mid 400 hp with cam, heads, RPM air gap intake and Edelbrock 1406 carb. Not sure what cam yet.

I also have a 355 I picked up last year (too good to pass up) and is sitting on my engine stand. Really want the torque from the 406 as I may be building my 1989 Caprice but at least have the option if I choose to go in another direction.

The magical question is: I am looking for opinions from my fellow Bangshifters on how to approach this. I have an opportunity to buy a set of used vortecs already set up with larger springs for bigger cam and drilled for the 406 but am leery of cracks (would not be able to check them before purchase) and would like to use as many parts as I can that I have lying around the garage (carbs, intakes, etc...). Either would be bolted to a built 700R4 with the rear end gears to be determined later.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Clay

Why not go all early '90's and build a 383?

Comment

build the 406 with Vortec heads, you'll love it. That said, they are not RPM machines, so the big thumpy cam, while it sounds cool, belongs in the 350 because it'll hurt performance of the 406
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I say 406 to...... Though make sure whatever head you get has the bigger chamber(76cc), just to give you an idea a 406 with a zero deck and 64cc chamber will have about 12:1 compression..... Find a cam with about 280 adv. duration, with about 550 lift...... It'll be a screamer!!!!!.....

Comment

I also vote for the 400 with the vortec heads.

Here's a link to the build called "the impersonator" that would be a good build to copy:

It's a good article and a great build... if you can handle all the annoying pop-ups.

Comment

Engine Quest has Vortec style heads for about 800 ... Dulcich has been running some of there stuff, he might speak to the quality. There's an article he did here with them, look at the torque output down low... 400 @ 2800 will move a Caprice with fair authoritaaaaa, 445 lb/ft peak is nothing to sneeze at out of 350 inches. 447 hp will keep it moving up top.

I think this is me saying 350, roller cam, budget heads. (then when you get bored, turbo!)
            Last edited by Beagle; July 27, 2012, 05:32 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have a 400 on the stand that is going in a C1500. Found some Vortec heads cheap, but they arent drilled for the early intake and have stock springs. If I had gone with some different heads, I could have used the sbc stuff I had laying around. Instead I needed an entire valvetrain, valve covers, and an intake to fit those heads. For what it cost me I could have had some good heads and used the parts that were on a 305 in my C10 and made more power where I want it, between idle and 5000.

If you dont have all that crap to fit those heads, it isnt always dirt cheap to swap them on.

Comment

He could always go with a set of Pro Comp aluminum heads off ebay....... $600 for a set of 210cc aluminum heads that are complete ready to run isn't a bad deal..... Well that's if you can get past the whole china thing........

DF has done a couple of head shootouts using Pro Comps and they performed better than some of the high dollar heads out there.......

Last edited by TC; July 27, 2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

A 280*duration cam would not get out of its own way.
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

SCORE!!!!! Just picked up a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads valve size 2.080 X 1.60 64cc chambers for $540.00 new in the box! TC has me a little worried about the compression tho. I fell into them on craigslist from a guy who had a customer back out and then just sat around for a while. I really want to use my new RPM Air Gap intake and valve covers I already have so decided against the vortecs. Besides, I kept reading all the horror stories about cracked used vortec heads. the cam is still up in the air yet tho, so keep the ideas coming.

I appreciate all the advice and still trying to make up my mind on a few things. BTW, my 406 is the 4 bolt as I verified the plugs on the block.

Comment

Why build a 406? Won't the 350 'rpm faster' with its shorter stroke?
                      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

OK someone owes me a screen and a key board!

Comment

Originally posted by streetshark View Post
                          SCORE!!!!! Just picked up a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads valve size 2.080 X 1.60 64cc chambers for $540.00 new in the box! TC has me a little worried about the compression tho. I fell into them on craigslist from a guy who had a customer back out and then just sat around for a while. I really want to use my new RPM Air Gap intake and valve covers I already have so decided against the vortecs. Besides, I kept reading all the horror stories about cracked used vortec heads. the cam is still up in the air yet tho, so keep the ideas coming.

I appreciate all the advice and still trying to make up my mind on a few things. BTW, my 406 is the 4 bolt as I verified the plugs on the block.
                          I know it will sound weird to most but the 2 bolt is the desired block its stronger.
                          Last edited by JeffMcKC; July 27, 2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streetshark View Post
                            TC has me a little worried about the compression tho.
                            Don't let it worry you to much, you'll just need to get dish pistons..........

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                              I know it will sound weird to most but the 2 bolt is the desired block its stronger.
                              Doesn't sound weird... cuz it's true. The 2-bolt has more meat in the webbing area of the mains. To make a really bad-ass 406... use the 2-bolt block and machine it for splayed 4-bolt caps.
                              Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Working...
                              X