No announcement yet.

Caltracs - install, set up, tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the guys we are adding extra holes on are Radials, high power ( over 1000 HP and some as high as 2000 HP) for a lot of leverage, and the Shocks are slowed way down on ext and comp. Afco Big Guns revelaved some time twice to slow them down even more. The travel stopping is whats un hooking the radials. Less travel over a long period of time as they ramp Boost, Nitrous, timing in these are low 1.20 to 1.15 60' cars on a 275 radial.
    Last edited by JeffMcKC; August 24, 2012, 06:55 AM.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Interesting stuff. I'm planning to make some of these bars for my 55. I have a wierd rear suspension, I threw together 15 yrs ago when I built the car. Shortened Mopar springs with reversed eyes, mounted under the frame (not pocketed in the frame like most of them). I might need to put the "short" front springs back in the car to make it work? right now it has almost no upward travel.

this is a video from last weekend with the slapper bars, it was not behaving very well, 1.86 60' time on a mid 11 run at 120. 275 drag radials

Last edited by squirrel; August 24, 2012, 07:18 AM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Your getting plenty of seperation then it tops out and pulls the tire off the ground, If you had a shock on the back you could tighten up to slow it down might help, its pretty uncontrolled right now, rear and front. To add travel you could rework the shackle on the back. If it was me, I would just get a better shock to tighten the ext and adjust the compression with I think you have enough travel if it was slowe down. Are you sure the pinion is got enough down angle to it also?

Comment

Not yet Bill. But my car has been really standing up in the last few weeks (we have had some good summer air as of late), so I will be making some changes in the coming weeks in preparation for the fall conditions. My wife informed me that it is starting to make her nervous, plus I a broke another front shock last weekend....gotta do something. I will soften the rear shocks first and that doesn't do it I guess I will move to the to the top hole in the Caltracs. I will post results hopefully with video. I will also try to note any changes in rearend separation.

I have been gathering up Opentracker front end pieces to rebuild the suspension over the winter. I will probably also go to a higher quality front shock for next year, some thing with more adjustability. Some Super Stock buddys are recomending the Strange Double Adjustables or maybe some Santuff Sportsman Shocks.
          Time Wasters...
          http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
          http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Joe, you might look into the Afco BNC Shock for the front the BNC is Bounce Control valving. Its a double adjustable and in the same price range as the Strange.

Comment

On the front shocks the DA BNC Afco's are the hot ticket at moderate prices. They have valving to control bounce hence the 'BNC' and you can slow down the front if that becomes neccessary with the extension tuning. Santhuff are top of the line as are JR1, and I hear good things about the Strange parts but have not run them.

On the back, going to the upper hole will make the hit more violent and will escalate the need for a DA shock to control extension as Jeff mentions. You'll get ET improvements if you can get the car to launch forward rather than upward, but its not as impressive. Small tire cars do seem to benefit form the height sometimes as the time at 100% weight transfer covers the torque multiplication peak 20-30 ft. out.

The open tracker roller perches will free up the front suspension adding to your speed of roatation on the launch, e.g. bigger wheelies absent adding control via the shocks.
              Last edited by CDMBill; August 24, 2012, 08:42 AM.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Treed by Jeff.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Grippo View Post
                  I will soften the rear shocks first and that doesn't do it I guess I will move to the to the top hole in the Caltracs.
                  I'm not sure if moving to the top hole is the right way to go..., on the ladder bars on my '71 Camaro I have 3 mounting holes for the front mount for the ladder bars, the way it was explained to me is to run the ladder bars in the top hole, but if I pull the wheels to much that I need to drop it down a hole and if I still pull the wheels after I get to the lowest hole then I need to go back and see the guy to have wheelie bars put on....... I would assume the Cal-tracs work the same way, so moving to the top hole on the cal-tracs, might make you wheelie even more/easier........

Comment

They do not work the same way, and your ladder bars don't work that way either.

Ladder bars holes are all above 100% anti squat, the more seperation you require to plant the tire the higher hole you might use. Wheelies have little to do with seperation and should not be treated like they do.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                      They do not work the same way, and your ladder bars don't work that way either.

Ladder bars holes are all above 100% anti squat, the more seperation you require to plant the tire the higher hole you might use. Wheelies have little to do with seperation and should not be treated like they do.
                      That is just how the guy that tubbed my car explained it to me about which hole to put the front mount of the ladder bars in...... I think it has to do with instant centers....., he did say the top hole was the optimum hole to run it in, but like he said if I pull the wheels to high, that I can drop it to the next hole down to combat pulling the wheels to high....... But then he builds Prostock chassis's, so I'm sure he doesn't know what he's talking about..........

As for the cal tracs and which hole to run it in, that is a phone call away, as Calvert with each kit recommends which hole to run it in, like with the one's for my GMC they recommend the bottom hole.......
                      Last edited by TC; August 24, 2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Sure he does TC, Maybe in 1972. There is not a Pro Stock running a Ladder bar. If he did build them there is no way he made such a stupid statement as that. A high HP car with ( depending on how high the top hole is) will not drive well on the Top end and will drive the wheel into the pavement. You should ask him again, this is another case of you not knowing for yourself but blind following a incorrect statement thats easly proved false.

Comment

Since this is a Cal-trac thread I'll relate some information I received at Pomona last Weekend. John Calvert was there along with several of their race cars running their equipment of course. I ran my current set-up by them to see what I might be leaving on the table and the big distinction that emerged and that often gets lost in translation is whether some one is running bias ply slicks or drag radials or radial slicks each of which requires a different approach, especially when it comes to shock settings.

Most of the information out there is for bias ply slicks and the key difference is the extension or 'rebound' setting, at or close to full stiff for drag radials, far softer for bias ply's but in either case starting from the baseline layed out at the beginning of the thread and following the directions from there will get some one from baseline to an effcient launch pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                            You should ask him again, this is another case of you not knowing for yourself but blind following a incorrect statement thats easly proved false.
                            It's not that I don't know, it's what I was told, thing is you don't know how he set the suspension up to begin with, so not knowing that, how can you make a blanket statement about what it will do?? Like you said, "depending on how high the top hole is", well lets just say the top hole isn't high enough to cause the problems you are describing......Lets say the top hole is the optimum position to have it in........

I guess the question is Jeff, what do you do on a ladder bar car if it pulls sky high wheelies and adjusting the shocks doesn't keep it from doing it.........

Comment

I would aim for 100% anti squat to start with on a bias tire ( no rise or squat from the rear) or as close as you can with the mounts you used, or on a radial 120%.

There are sevearl things, but as said before, you need to seperate the wheelie from the ladder bar settings. First a Wheelie is a Lack of Power for the way the chassis is set up. ( Drag Radials differ) The tire on a Bias tire should not be dead hooked, if it is dead hooked on a bias or radial then it becomes easier for the pinion to climb the ring gear than to move the tire, We then have a wheelie. To know a wheelie out you can first try to pick the unsprung wheight of the front up quicker, by tightening the ext of the front shocks to work as a limiter. Then you could also use a limiter, but that might be harsh and shock the tire into spin not slip. You could move weight forwards. You could change 1st Gear ratio on a Bias to a lower gear to gain tire speed, on a radial tire take away mech gear so it does not have leverage to climb and will loosen the converter at the same time, add power, add air to the rear tires. Tighten the rear shocks on ext to limit the ext. , lower the rear of the car.

TC none of this is touching the ladder bar position, because the ladder bar position on a ladder bar car is a huge change, minor changes are done with ride hieght.

You want as little of anti squat/Percent of rise/Rear axle seperation as you can, and still plant the tire. (read this as wasted motion and energy) Making changes for wheelies are just not done in this area, unless you have totally missed the set up to start with, and your trying to kill way more seperation than you need, to get the tire to slip, but your correcting the seperation issue, not a wheelie issue by doing that.

As Bill said Drag Radials are a different animal.
                              Last edited by JeffMcKC; August 27, 2012, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X