AFR Composite Intakes.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFR Composite Intakes.......

So have any of you guys seen one or are running one?? What's your opinion of them, would you run a composite intake?? And how about porting them, how does that work??.....

Anyway thinking about complementing my AFR heads for the twin turbo motor with their Composite single plane intake......

So what's your thoughts??.........

I'd run one but two questions come to mind on their strength. Are they strong enough to lift and engine with using the normal carb plate? And at what boost level do you need a "Danger to Manifold" warning??

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

my wallet sez I'll never be a big enough baller to know.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Composite = Unobtainium to me.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Gimmick for rich guys. You a rich guy?
          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Just run a Super Victor and be done with it.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I didn't read this the first time - you shouldn't have to port it, that's the point.

Your intercooler(s) should be dealing with heat, but I can see that as a small benefit maybe. If heat soak is all that big a problem, then how well is hot plastic gonna handle boost? Scott's point is taken, you can probably pick up a used speedway manifold if all you are worried about is huge x gigantic runners.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                Composite = Unobtainium to me.
                They are $600 new and suppose to flow better out of the box than a ported intake, so taking that you don't really need to port it, that is a savings right there....... Though I've read they do need a bit of casting flash removal on the inside of the plenum....... It's a thought, they are suppose to run the intake charge 30 degrees cooler, which I thought might help with the air temps and the turbo's.......

I do have a Holley Strip Dominator, that I was going to use.... Hmmm decisions, decisions........
                Last edited by TC; August 18, 2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Just a matter of time until some Chinese makes a $19.95 copy of this intake, made from melted recycled babydoll heads...
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

It seems like a good idea. I like the swapable top end without breaking the valley seal.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                      Just a matter of time until some Chinese makes a $19.95 copy of this intake, made from melted recycled babydoll heads...
                      Now that right there is funny .... I don't care who ya are!
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

there is a performance advantage of not transferring heat up to the carburetor on an N/A engine. Thats why the LS engines are closed on the top of the valley to keep a cooler charge. Adding any heat from the turbo is what you have to study. If you are gonna bring heat from the top, I would assume the savings of heat from below would be negated. I guess if your turbo's were plastic I would trust a plastic manifold, but dont know how many pieces that could end up in with the boost you plan to run.

Comment

I would like to make one, or have one made. I bet I could sell everyone.
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I would not run one on a Boosted engine or with spray, they have already had issues with them on N/A engines and are trying to make good. They did not invent this by any means, Wilson had one a long time ago and never released it, Gabby said they gave up because of quality control issues. They out flow a unported intake, they DO NOT OUT FLOW A PORTED ONE and they are comparing it to small intakes when that is said. They also have fuel boundary layer issues. If you decide to go EFI later then it’s another intake also. There are a lot of better choices for intakes than that one for many reasons Dry air flow is a sales tool not much more is shown by it.
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

All I would be intrested in would be the cooling effects. I wonder if you could get one in a different color, black seems to soak up heat but white would be a pain to keep clean. White would be fine if you could just hose it off with some brake cleaner or something.
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                              X