No announcement yet.

AFR Composite Intakes.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tellin ya, after the 80's version of "How to rebuild your Small Block Chevrolet" ... my hands are cleaner than Vizard's were when I'm putting an engine together, so "HACK" is a matter of perspective to me.

There are times when an off the shelf cam is the right answer... not often, but they exist. I tend to trust the magazine guys who post extensive dyno results more than those who theorize (sp) and don't. I'm not saying he's bad or good, but I tend to read between the lines and frankly, I have thought for years that I smell a lot of bullshit.

For the money, I'd take a Dulcich recipe build any time and have enough cheap hp to worry more about the suspension. Holdener's stuff is repeatable. DF's stuff is repeatable. All of them come with numbers. Vizard has left me hanging too many times for me to care.

I'd be leary of the manifold for anything not strictly NA, based on how many Ford composite manifolds have had issues. If it was 20.00 from China, I'd try it. haha.

I found out a few (dozen) years ago that I don't know much compared to the greats, the mediocres, and the also rans. I love EMC for showing me things I never thought about. I only wish I could think as creatively as some of these "hacks" who don't write theory or build things without numbers. My inner dink is running wide open today, sorry for turding up the thread... but the theory and the reality on plastics aren't in synch for me yet. For all of the coatings and chamber shaping and porting, I don't see a lot of poly in there, and they aren't playing.

For a street manifold, put the boost on your strip dominator and save the 600.00 for gas and suspension. You're gonna be hell-bent to hook up a good tow truck 350 with 15 pounds of boost. What's the best 1/4 F*bomb ran? How about hooking up a legit 700 hp on the street? Good luck.
    Last edited by Beagle; August 24, 2012, 05:51 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      tellin ya, after the 80's version of "How to rebuild your Small Block Chevrolet" ... my hands are cleaner than Vizard's were when I'm putting an engine together, so "HACK" is a matter of perspective to me.
      They have revamped a lot of his books, like the How to build HP one was redone in 2010 and he touches in on the LS and Mod motors..... The guy has some interesting insight, has really opened my eyes......... Can't wait to get into the books that are more specific, like the next one that just covers carbs and intake manifolds........ Good stuff!!!!.....

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
        They have revamped a lot of his books, like the How to build HP one was redone in 2010 and he touches in on the LS and Mod motors..... The guy has some interesting insight, has really opened my eyes......... Can't wait to get into the books that are more specific, like the next one that just covers carbs and intake manifolds........ Good stuff!!!!.....
        I don't wanna sound jaded, and I'm all about reading stuff that makes me think. He does offer some ideas, and if it makes you think and do things, rock on!

I got more out of Dulcich's 400 Buick motor story with regard to unshrouding valves than I have from a lot of other guys everything they've ever written. You're talking turbo build, there are a TON of mistakes that you can boost your way past. Without OEM money, you'll never know. It'd be badass to build, play, test, build play test, without a doubt. I guess my point was maybe not get hung up on 2000 hp that will never hook? If you make 1200, how do you plant that? You have the parts to make stupid hp that won't hook already. Again, sorry for turding up the thread... carry on.
        Last edited by Beagle; August 24, 2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I don't understand the approach of building a 1,000hp twin turbo engine as some sort of one off wonder when there are hundreds of them running around the country on any given weekend. Not a lot to add from my end, but I will say that so far this year I have been to a bunch of strips announcing and what not, seen hundreds of different cars and combos run and not a single one of them has had a two piece composite intake manifold on it, N/A or otherwise.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

air-water intercooler makes it kinda moot. Ice water and table salt. Dry ice... Turk / DF commented on this a few years ago with Chad at b'ville? Can't remember...

Comment

Maybe I should just send my Strip Dominator to BOSSMAN and let him do his magic!!!!!........

Comment

No to the composite intake and im old school I have blown through alot of carbs and intakes! one of my old school packages

Last edited by JeffClark; August 24, 2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  ...For the money, I'd take a Dulcich recipe build any time and have enough cheap hp to worry more about the suspension...How about hooking up a legit 700 hp on the street? Good luck.
                  Beags: Amen Brother, preach it to the masses.
                  Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by JeffClark View Post
                    No to the composite intake and im old school I have blown through alot of carbs and intakes! one of my old school packages

Boats with twin tunnel rammed engines are cool. Boats with twin, blown, tunnel rammed engines are frozen, they are so cool.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I like those packages I can still make alot more power blowing through a pair of carbs than I can EFI I can make a easy 1600 and change on my 614's with a pair of carbs on gas and have a nice ever curve doing it, Ive been messing with EFI since 1995 and the best I can get with the same package is in the 1400's and verry uneven curve.... this is a basic idea of the package without all the crud bolted on..

Comment

• A basic idea of what they look like closed up

Comment

• WOW!! Jeff neat stuff!!
                          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                          X