Shifters, What Kind to Get.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I've noticed that the neutral switch is one thing that tech guys usually ask to see if it works.

I take safety at the strip pretty seriously.....I knew a couple guys who used to race and are pushing up daisys because they did stupid things with cars that were not even on the track.
    One of the things I made sure worked on my Skylark when I went from auto to manual. Kept me from running into things a few times for sure.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That Winters looks like a really nice piece. I hated the B&M that was in the ranger - the ratchet action was inconsistant, it seemed cheaply built compared to the Hurst quarter stick that was in the '69 when I got it. The plan is to use the quarter stick in the falcon - we'll see how much I like or hate it after DW.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The Winters is a nice piece, very precise feel when banging shifts

I have a reverse manual valve body and it works fantastic with it....
        Time Wasters...
        http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
        http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Don't worry, I just reach in and turn the key. I wouldn't want to be sitting in the car if I accendently left it in gear.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
            Don't worry, I just reach in and turn the key. I wouldn't want to be sitting in the car if I accendently left it in gear.
            We had a guy here at work get dragged across the employee parking lot by his truck when he "just" reached in the window turned the key and his arm got caught in the steering wheel, the engine actually started and idled off pulling him along. He was very lucky not to fall under the rear tires. The owner of the truck that stopped the run away truck I'm sure wasn't too happy either.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Its not the wow factor, its how it feels in your hand. I wonder if the car with all the popular stuff in it is the most fun to drive.

Comment

I've been using a B&M Quick Silver ratchet shifter and never had a problem. I would not hesitate to recommend it. (Gotta admit that Winters unit is new to me and looks really good....maybe for the next project).

Comment

Originally posted by WindsorDlx440 View Post
                  (Gotta admit that Winters unit is new to me and looks really good....maybe for the next project).
                  Was thinking the same thing......

Comment

I really like a plain ole "Hurst quarter stick" without the cover.

Comment

A few years back when I was still racing, the Cheetah shifter was the hot ticket for the 3 speed guys... but I never liked the way they looked, so I just kept my horse shoe shifter, and made a custom shift gate for it. Works great, but hooking up an air or electric shifter solenoid is something that would take further contemplation / engineering.

The quarter stick or pro stick seem like well built, solid units - I just didn't like having to hold the lever for one shift and release it for the other. I'm sure it's fine once you get used to it though.

Comment

Working...
                      X