6 Month old gas in tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Month old gas in tank...

So I made the mistake of letting my van sit for six months without starting. It's a '95 Chevy with the TBI 4.3L. I'm thinking some Seafoam and fresh gas in the tank before I attemp to start it.
    Any opinions?
    Thanks!

A bottle of Stabil wouldn't hurt either. I don't think six months is a real issue.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I started a dirt bike that was sitting in the sun with 2 year old gas(two stroke) in it and it started right up......

Comment

I let some of the cars and trucks sit for 6 months or more around here constantly. The only time I have had a problem with them is when they sit for more than three years and the gas varnishes the tank real bad. There is a 97 Jimmy with the 4.3 sitting out there that needs a new fuel tank, it will start and drive no problem and it hasnt been driven in two years. Same with one of the F150s.

I wouldnt worry about it, just get it started and drive it.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement and help!
          With any luck the 6 year old battery will still have a charge...

Comment

Stick your nose in the gas tank - if it smells like varnish, beware. If it smells like gas - don't sweat it.

Comment

six months is probably okay, it would have been winter gas. I'd spray it with b12 if I had to, but it should start without real issues. Fill it with fresh gas and drive it all out of it would be my deal. 300 miles or so, what's a 4 hour road trip?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Lucas top end lubricant/injector cleaner in the tank for a half hour before you crank it... works for me...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm going along with it should be fine, fire it up. I've bought a car with 2 year old gas in it and it ran. It would run alittle flat now and then till I burnt out the stuff. Changed the fuel filter after that. The open the cap and smell it is good advise also.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                  X