Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to know when the adjustable clutch fork pivot ball is set right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to know when the adjustable clutch fork pivot ball is set right?

I installed a new clutch set and a scattershield with block saver and with that I got an adjustable clutch fork adjustable pivot ball/stud.

I "thought" I followed the directions on the measurements right when I set it before installing the clutch and transmission, but upon installation I did not like the change to the pedal adjustments. So with some tool customization, etc I found I can adjust the pivot ball while installed and tightened it up to where I like what I see at the clutch fork and the way the pedal feels.

So my question is, other than the clutch fork hitting the bellhousing or the linkage coming up short or too tight, what feel at the pedal indicates the pivot point is off? Does it change the point during the pedal travel where the clutch engages or disengages? Does the pedal get harder or softer? What methods other than measuring 4.75"(?) from the block to pivot point have people used?

Right now I have ~1" of pedal travel before the throw out bearing contacts the pressure plate and then full 100% disengagement of the clutch (where the car doesn't move) happens with only about an 1" or so from the floor. I like the 1" of pedal play, but it engages a bit too soon for my liking when lifting the pedal from the floor and was wondering if that was a function of the pivot point? Could be (likely?) the new clutch is just grabbier than the old, but just curious if I could adjust that point. Plus I'd like to know what the symptoms are of the pivot point being out of adjustment for simple diagnostics. Thanks.
    Escaped on a technicality.

My guess is that you want the pivot ball adjusted so that the fork (a line through it where it contacts the TO bearing and the pivot center) is perpendicular to the engine centerline, when it is in the middle of it's travel.

Does that make sense?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've convinced myself that tomorrow I'm going to throw it up on jackstands again and adjust it out some more. I get what you are saying, but the trouble will be having it in the 'middle' of the travel when I'm under the car (not to mention the observation part with the floor pans in the way). Maybe I can get someone to push the pedal while I'm under the car tomorrow.

So what would you expect the symptoms to be of 'too far out' and 'not out far enough'?
      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 25, 2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Squirrel's answer makes sense to me, and while we are on the topic, I like the clutch pedal height just a bit below the brake pedal, and with virtually zero freeplay to make heel/toe and side of foot down shifts easier. That much free play would make those techniques difficult me with my unccordinated feet.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          So what would you expect the symptoms to be of 'too far out' and 'not out far enough'?
          The idea is to make the linkage work so it's getting the most travel at the TO bearing, for how far you move the pedal. That requires all the linkage arms to be perpendicular in the center of travel.

Symptoms of it being wrong are that you can't get the clutch adjsuted so it works right at both ends of travel, that is you want it to release fully, and still have free play.

I worked on a Ford van that had a problem like that, the linkage arm under the dash had broken, and been rewelded at the wrong angle, so I could not get it adjusted right. I finally figured out what was going on. That was a headscratcher
          Last edited by squirrel; August 25, 2012, 08:11 PM.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

The purpose of the adjustable pivot ball is so you can get the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate. There needs to be about 1/4" play between them. The linkage rod adjusts where the clutch engagement is at. I like having the clutch start to release about two inches from the floor. I don't like having to mash it to the floor board to get complete engagement for shifting.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              The purpose of the adjustable pivot ball is so you can get the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate. There needs to be about 1/4" play between them. The linkage rod adjusts where the clutch engagement is at. I like having the clutch start to release about two inches from the floor. I don't like having to mash it to the floor board to get complete engagement for shifting.
              ^^ I did this. I set the pivot point so that it moves a ~1/4" from the pressure plate. Then did some jacking around with the linkage adjustments, then messed with the pivot point, then the linkage adjustments, until I had the pedal pressure and distance I wanted and got ~1/4" from the pressure plate. It feels perfect right now. Pedal effort dropped and it's less grabby and engages smoothly over a longer stroke of the pedal. I'm definitely happy with it now.

Comment

sounds good. Just curious, how far from flush is the head of the pivot bolt, to the surface of the bellhousing.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

I didn't measure it with the clutch, clutch fork and flywheel installed.

Comment

I thought you could see it....oh well, like I said just curious.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                      ^^ I did this. I set the pivot point so that it moves a ~1/4" from the pressure plate. Then did some jacking around with the linkage adjustments, then messed with the pivot point, then the linkage adjustments, until I had the pedal pressure and distance I wanted and got ~1/4" from the pressure plate. It feels perfect right now. Pedal effort dropped and it's less grabby and engages smoothly over a longer stroke of the pedal. I'm definitely happy with it now.
                      Yippe!!
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X