1964 Chevelle wiper question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Chevelle wiper question

I just got my car back from paint and body. Now my wipers do not work. I have checked out at the wiper motor and I have 12 volts and when I turn the wiper switch it provides the ground at the motor. So I have power and ground at the motor. I also checked the wiper motor body to ground and it has a good ground to the body. I cleaned the body ground just to make sure. I assumed since I have 12 volts and a ground that switches with the wiper switch that I must have a bad wiper motor. I purchased a new wiper motor and installed it. I checked the wiper linkage when the motor was off and it moved freely. Now that the new wiper motor is installed I still do not have working wipers.

Does any one have any ideas? I am wondering if I just got a bad motor. I would not think that a two wire system would be that hard to diagnose but it is really beginning to annoy me plus I lost my schematic book so I am just tracing wires.
    1964 Chevelle
    Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
    LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Re: 1964 Chevelle wiper question

Does the motor need to ground through the case as well?

Comment

I happen to have the 64 chevelle shop manual, i'll try to scan the troubleshooting pages in a little bit...gotta finish dealing with video from the kid's robot competition first though!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

like this looks like motor needs to be grounded http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...64_3WD-085.jpg http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...64_3WD-084.jpg

Comment

Thanks for that Dave, I retracted the first statement.
          Jim rocks too BTW.

Comment

just trying to do my part to help

Comment

Thank you for that.

Comment

I would make sure the bars from the wiper motor to the wiper arms aren't binding up. If the cowl was removed for painting they may have been installed out of adjustment. That's how I got my wipers working on my T-bird, I started pulling it apart to replace the wiper motor (which mine is hydraulic) and after I got the bars disconnected I figured I'd try the switch for the heck of it and it worked! A little experimenting with the cowl off with the bars and it works, it seemed there were two or three ways the bars could be hooked up, and if the paint shop put them on wrong and you are following their arraignment..... Of Course the Chevelle's is a completely different design (that I'm not familiar with) but it might be worth looking at.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

yeah, look over the mechanical stuff first ,make sure the wipers can move thru their full travel when disconnected from the motor, etc.

try these pages from the manual, maybe they'll help? sorry for the lousy scans, I got a new old scanner and the book is 43 years old and not taken care of. If you need more pages please let me know

My fabulous web page

Comment

Thanks for the help. The motor body shows to have a good ground through the body to both the altenator case and also the battery negative post. I will print out all of the scans that you have provided to see if I can see what I am missing.
                    1964 Chevelle

Comment

Thanks for all of the information and the scans. I went out last night and spent some quality time with my car and the scans that I printed out. I came to the decision that it was indeed a bad rebuilt wiper motor and I had not missed something. I just did not want to look like a moron if they tested it when I took it back and it worked. The parts store got me another rebuilt wiper motor. Glad it had a lifetime warranty. I got it installed this afternoon and I now have working wipers.

Thank You very much for all of the help.
                      1964 Chevelle

Comment

good news! and thanks for letting us know what the problem was...
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Bad new parts always suck. I had a fuel sending unit show up bad, took me a month to figure out is wasn't bad wiring in a 40 year old car, the company I bought it from (can't remember now or I'd post it) was very nice about it, sent mine back, they agreed and sent a new one to me with in a week. Glad you got it fixed.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

yea car guys helping car guys .your welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X