Injector Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector Question...

I was told by the tuner guy I'm talking with that I need to upgrade the injectors on my Camaro to 30lb injectors, he recommended the Ford Red Top injectors...... So here is the question, I have found two different style Ford Red injectors, one is the older big body injector style and the other is the newer thin body injector style, like what's on my Camaro now. Here's some pics of the injectors I'm talking about, is there any advantage to using one over the other??.......

These are the big body injectors...

And these are the thin body injectors like what's on my car now....

DISCLAIMER - I have no dog in this fight, I'm pretty sure it's a booby trap. Since it's well known that I'm a google-racer, here's some food for thought.

Of the several different available types, I have heard the newer Ford injectors are disc type instead of pintle. Does it make a rats ass to me? At my level? probably not, as long as the fuel leak into my engine is controlled reasonably well. There is a lot of discussion, all of which seems academic to me.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-injectortypes.htm has some interesting discussion too, nevermind that it's a Mitsu site.

If I were needing 30# injectors, I'd reconsider what I will need for a 500 hp with a cam car. That seems kinda small for a 500 hp with a cam. Maybe 39# out of somebody's low mile Terminator would be a good idea.
    Last edited by Beagle; September 2, 2012, 05:22 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Thanks Beag's, it does seem the 30lb injectors would be small for a motor making 500hp even at the 60psi of fuel pressure my car runs at, most injectors are rated at a fuel pressure of 43.5psi, looks like if I step up to a 36lb injector it should cover it....

Comment

I'd personally go right to something in the 40's. 42-44lb/hr. I think you could still be dicey at 36lb/hr at 85% duty cycle if you are going to make 500HP. And mind you, where you live you see some high air pressure days that will increase the fuel demand with the denser air.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          I'd personally go right to something in the 40's. 42-44lb/hr. I think you could still be dicey at 36lb/hr at 85% duty cycle if you are going to make 500HP. And mind you, where you live you see some high air pressure days that will increase the fuel demand with the denser air.
          Thanks Randal, I can only assume that the motor will make close to 500hp, but your right with the 36's I would just be covering the power output with little room to spare running at a 80% duty cycle..... I think I will take your advise and jump up to a set of 42's......

Comment

42's from somebody moving from a slow Lightning to a fast one are a good deal too.

Comment

I put a set of 44's in my car this time last year. I ran with 32's for a long time, but the aluminum head and roller cam upgrades made the 32's dicey. I'm now around 70% duty cycle on the 44's, and I'm planning some winter upgrades still.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                I put a set of 44's in my car this time last year. I ran with 32's for a long time, but the aluminum head and roller cam upgrades made the 32's dicey. I'm now around 70% duty cycle on the 44's, and I'm planning some winter upgrades still.
                What's your fuel pressure??

Comment

without a "Boost-a-pump" or some other voltage cranker, I'd figure on 39.5 psi rating on the injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    What's your fuel pressure??
                    I recently cranked it up to 60psi, but I think my pump is struggling to keep it there, so I may lower it back down to 43psi. I initially cranked it up to 60psi to get the injection time while cruising down to a small enough window it only injected fuel after the exhaust valve closed on the intake stroke, but I think it was overkill and can get there at 43psi now. I'm definitely reaching the limits I think of a stock Ford pump with a 5/16th diameter.

Comment

Sorry, I missed it ... thought it was 39.5 Ford rates their injector at, it's 39.15

"..All injector flow rates are quoted at a delta pressure of 39.15 psi. To convert to a delta pressure of 43.5 psi, multiply flow rate by 1.054."

GM runs their pumps at 43 I believe? Hell, I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        GM runs their pumps at 43 I believe? Hell, I don't know...

My Camaro runs at 60psi......

Comment

Its all tuning anyway. We got accel 17 pound injectors (HP) when they kept failing in the 3.1. Just ended up running fat all the time, more dribble than spray, but you dont worry about droplets right? You might have 60 psi on your system, but getting huge injectors is gonna drop that when they are pouring into 8 wide open cylinders. Really dont know if its gonna sustain that pressure all the way up the RPM range.

Just as a reference, if you get a tank fuel injection cleaner setup, it takes 55 pounds of pressure to even get a mild motor to fire on the cleaning mixture. Dont really know what that means, we are usually at around 40 psi running on a stock engine.

Anyway, probably should ask for this to get moved to the EFI section. There are probably people that check that forum more often that could give you better answers.

Comment

Make sure you are getting HIGH IMPEDANCE injectors for your stock GM ECU. Haven't heard anyone here mention that yet.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                              Make sure you are getting HIGH IMPEDANCE injectors for your stock GM ECU. Haven't heard anyone here mention that yet.
                              Yap already knew that, though if you'd care to give your input on what size injector I should run, I'd be listening.... In a perfect world there is the chance that the motor will make as much as 525hp, the RC calculator says a 36lb injector would be about right (little big), but would stepping up to a 42lb injector really make a difference, or are their drawbacks to running to big of an injector.......

Comment

Working...
                              X