Magnets in the oil pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnets in the oil pan?

I wondered about something a minute ago - as long as this oil pan is brand new, is there any reason why I shouldn't epoxy a magnet to the bottom of it? I don't trust the china-wow melanized cam gear... keep having nightmares about it eating itself and filling my oil full of metal.

Thoughts?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Why not the magnetic drain plug so you can inspect it?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Ditto that.

Comment

why not a magnet on your oil filter, then you can change it and take all the metal with you?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          why not a magnet on your oil filter, then you can change it and take all the metal with you?
          Easy nuff to duct tape one there...

Comment

the pan stays dead, the oil filter works some magic with the pump, which is driven.

drain plug gets my vote. I even removed the magnet from a boxer oil filter..its like it knows things are moving, bothered the pressure gauge. electro magnet? who knows.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This would help, but if you get metal to the oil filter, it already made it thru the pump. MAgnets in transmission pans are keeping the metal from making it thru the pump. The stuff floating around on the bottom of the pan is alot of babbit from bearings, which isnt magnetic anyway. Its really not like a transmission where the steels are bonding to the magnet. A magnet cant hurt, just dont think you are dealing with much in the terms of steel that it makes a big difference.

Comment

Pulled the pan off one of our first derby small blocks.. It had a magnet epoxied (JB weld) to th flat area by the drain plug...
                And there was a nut and a lock washer stuck to it... Nut was a rocker stud nut, dunno where the washer came from..
                Cows got into that area of the barn, crapped diahrea all over it ... We didn't notice untill we had parts to put it back together months later... Ever try to get that stuff off after it DRIES?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  ...Ever try to get that stuff off after it DRIES?
                  Prolly need more than a magnet.
                  "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Glue in a magnet in the pan PLUS use the magnetic drain plug.... if
                    by chance the one magnet doesnt get it the other will plus you can
                    see the drain if anything is happening... you just dont want stuff
                    getting into the oil pump

Comment

There are lots of things a magnet won't attract like aluminum and copper. Most of the steel that would stick to a magnet could probably be prevented by cleaning everything out real good before you put it togather. It's not that it's a bad idea for an engine that goes a long time between services though.
                      Originally posted by TC
                      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Why not just stick a magnet to the bottom of the oil pan on the outside? This way, when you change your oil, pull the magnet off first, and most of the metal particles should drain out with the oil. If the magnet is inside the oil pan, the metal particles stay inside the oil pan... the windage from the crank might wash some of it loose if it builds up enough. Then again, if you have that much metal in your oil, the engine's probably going to be coming out sooner than later, anyway. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                          Why not just stick a magnet to the bottom of the oil pan on the outside? This way, when you change your oil, pull the magnet off first, and most of the metal particles should drain out with the oil. If the magnet is inside the oil pan, the metal particles stay inside the oil pan... the windage from the crank might wash some of it loose if it builds up enough. Then again, if you have that much metal in your oil, the engine's probably going to be coming out sooner than later, anyway. *shrug*
                          with my cars, it'd get knocked off - I tend not to build a lot of clearance under my car
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

with my cars, it'd get knocked off - I tend not to build a lot of clearance under my car
                            Same here... I really worry about those STUPID ASS speed bumps
                            since there isnt a standard for their heights

Comment

Working...
                            X