No announcement yet.

School me on guideplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, when the heck would you need "adjustable" guideplates?

only with custom heads where the pushrod hole is moved for porting etc.?
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott Liggett;677758]Reusing the stock ones on the Caprice's 454.
      ALSO, BACK IN THE DAY,
      I put them on my old iron heads that were on the Impala.

i think the added words would clear up the confusion....
      Charles

Comment

If I understand it correctly there should only be one means of aligning the pushrod/rocker/valve. If the pushrod is relying
        on the cast in holes don't use guideplates or self aligning rockers. If guideplates are being used the slot in the head should
        be opened up and no self aligning rockers. If self aligning rockers are utilized then no guideplates should be used and the holes in the head should be enlarged.

You don't want multiple means of controling alignment fighting each other and putting everyghing in a bind.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaSam View Post
          If I understand it correctly there should only be one means of aligning the pushrod/rocker/valve. If the pushrod is relying
          on the cast in holes don't use guideplates or self aligning rockers. If guideplates are being used the slot in the head should
          be opened up and no self aligning rockers. If self aligning rockers are utilized then no guideplates should be used and the holes in the head should be enlarged.

You don't want multiple means of controling alignment fighting each other and putting everyghing in a bind.
          Here's a man that gets it...... Also make sure you get the guide plates for the size pushrods your running, no need to run a 1/4 inch pushrod in a guide plate for 3/8 pushrods......

Comment

Working...
          X