85 GMC p/u 2 peice drive shaft???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 GMC p/u 2 peice drive shaft???

I have a 85 gmc, it has a two peice drive shaft, the T-350 I want to put in is 6 inches shorter than the t375
    that is in there now, they want $200 to build me a 6"
    longer front shaft section, I have a couple of old shafts
    around here (out of old novas ) if thr ID is the same
    can i just have one of them cut down and have the splined peice put in? they are wanting over a 1$ an inch
    for drive shaft tube. thought this might be cheaper
    BTW the shafts I have all have t350 snouts on them now. thanks Cobey
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the 2 piece truck driveshafts have yokes that are bolted to the output shaft of the transmission.. The nova th350 yoke might not work.

but that's just a matter of changing the yokes out - buy a new U joint while you're at it.

If the diameter is the same, and the old driveshafts aren't rusted thin, I don't see why you can't use an old shaft to save a few bucks. If you're having the driveline shop do it, ask them what they have to say about it. They may do it - save you a few bucks, but offer no warranty.

Comment

the 350 shaft will have a different u joint size than the 400 type shaft. Many of the trucks with the 400 had a bolt on yoke. That shouldn't really affect things. You would need a driveshaft with the right size tube that fits the spline piece...if you have one, then go for it.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

thanks guys im going to get the parts to the driveline shop

Comment

Update?

Comment

a guy at work says he has a good trans and drive shaft I can have for helping him with his truck!!

Comment

Working...
            X