C4 Ford low band problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C4 Ford low band problems

My c4 in my 63 Fairlane was rebuilt and worked fine for 1 drag week and about another 2,000 miles and 30 passes. I had it rebuilt before drag week and added a new converter, after 3 passes and 40 mile it had eaten the low band (does not exsplain how it lost all forward gears) . This trans has a bigger servo and full manaul valve body. Any idea's?

was it possibly dragging, sometimes when they change stuff around they can get too much presser befor the band is applied??
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

was the line pressure good??
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

watching for opinions Shawn - I fear hydraulic circuits for an unknown reason, probably the same reason I have a piss poor Carburetor understanding, too a.d.d to follow the maps. Know how to clean the holes and change the gaskets and run drills though the jets, but just barely really understand them.

Try to have a look when it gets torn down if you can schedule it. I'm trying to figure out why mine pops out of gear, like an apply servo is fubar. I see o-rings on that junk, and it's easy to jack one up when you are putting it together if it didn't get lubed, got caught going into it's bore, faulty from the start and split, that kind of thing. Something wiping all forward gears should be obvious and there just aren't that many parts... gears will be obvious, but the pressures all get applied with hydraulics and any loss of seal = poop there.

Sorry I can't be any help there.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I found this yesterday -

I removed the tranny yesterday C4/C5 and found all the first gear clutches were completely gone and the fluid was burnt. The rest of the clutches in the other drum were fine. We found a damaged rubber seal below a lock ring that sits under the main clutch pack. Would this be the problem and if so would your guess be the seal blew out or was damaged/pinched during installation? It was a fresh rebuild in the spring and had the blue clutches installed with extras. My 70 mustang weighs 3300lbs with me in it and runs 11.20's@118. I also run a tranny brake with a manual forward pattern valve body. My next question will be should I continue to use the brake or just launch off the 2 step?
          Thanks for any help,
          Brian

sounds famililar. I'm not sure why that would mangle the low band though.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Mytrans guy is thinking the case is warped ware the valve body mates up, bringing him another case. We will see

Comment

I have heard of that happening - but rarely - I'm no trans guy - I hope you get it figured soon, and that the intake gasket wasn't a sign of something else wrong
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

You might get some help here:

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
                  Mytrans guy is thinking the case is warped ware the valve body mates up, bringing him another case. We will see
                  I think you need a new trans guy. That kind of problem shouldn't be happening that quick with a simple trans like a C4. If he ran proper pressure/ trans dyno tests after the rebuild a valve body to case leak would have been obvious. My Lentech AOD lived 5 years behind my 580" and was rebuilt last March after it was simply worn out. I had it rebuilt by a local guy here in Cali who builds trans for S/S and SS NHRA cars on the side of his regular auto trans business. It's worked perfectly through five events including Drag Week. I found him through referrals from guys who's trans work and have held up to our kind of punishment.

It was a bummer hearing that you didn't make it due to the newly rebuilt trans failing.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Were you downshifting it to slow the car? I wiped out the clutches and band the first time I had a manual valve body. I thought it was cool to downshift it coming up to stop lights. I had not been warned against that...I soon found it's not a good idea.

Just my experience. Hope you find something easy in there.
                    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Working...
                    X