Draining Transmission Fluid Without Removing Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining Transmission Fluid Without Removing Pan

Well I finally took my car for a ride on the street for the first time today. Shortly after I left the car started smoking. So I went back home and started inspecting and the transmission was leaking and of course that meant bottom of the car is coated with fluid, and I noticed that fluid was coming out of the vent. I checked the fluid level and it seems that it is a a little over full. So my questions are as follows:

1. If the transmission was overfilled would it be coming out of the vent.

2. How can I drain some fluid out of the transmission without removing the pan.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Draining Transmission Fluid Without Removing Pan

You could pop off a cooler line, kill the ignition, and crank over the engine, with a piece of line attached to the cooler line, drin some into a pan.

Comment

Yes, if the trans was overfilled it will come out the vent and go everywhere. As for draining without dropping the pan, the removal of the line is a good idea, maybe where it goes into the radiator if that is your setup or possible at the oil cooler. You can also just loosen some of the pan bolts and allow it to drain without dropping the pan altogether.
      Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Drop the pan, and install a drain-plug assembly(I have thismyself)....makes life much easier in the long run!

No other good way to do it....you're gonna have a damned mess any way you go about it, may as well ake it worthwhile.

Comment

use a vacuum brake bleeder down the fill tube till level is right. no mess at all.

Comment

Bubba,

I think you should have been part of NASA's space shuttle program. That idea is just genious, and I am not being sarcastic. That is the best idea I have heard yet. I actually did it by unhooking the cooler line, but if I would have had been smart enough to think of this I would have definitely done it. You how Chad was talking about a cap full of transmission fluid covering a 1,000 sf, well there you go nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by BUBBA
              use a vacuum brake bleeder down the fill tube till level is right. no mess at all.

That would help if we ALL had one, he may not.
              Still an excellent idea, though.

Comment

My drainplug is the temp sender.

Comment

There are quite a few ways to minimize the mess.
                  I would recommend putting a drain plug in the pan,
                  which will make trans filter swaps alot cleaner.

Comment

400's are common with venting problems. Sometimes leaving the level a little below full helps also.

Comment

What I have used and really really cheap and you can get it about everywhere.. fish tank air hose.. 25' for $3.. stick it down the fill tube and have at it. Works great if only wanting to take small amounts out at a time.

Comment

just remove the speedometer gear housing, it'll drain as much as you need. If you jack up the front of the car, it will help.
                        Last edited by squirrel; January 13, 2015, 09:24 PM.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Original post was on May 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM, I hope he´s figured it out by now.........

Comment

He probably did, but the great thing about forums is that people search for problems on the internet all the time - and adding another solution to an old thread may still help someone.

Comment

another way is buying an external transmission filter that splices into the coolant lines, one hose clamp and it drains, drains fast if you start the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X