Clear All

Originally posted by malc View Post
    Re: Draining Transmission Fluid Without Removing Pan

My drainplug is the temp sender.
    That's a great idea!
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I´ve now got a Summit aluminum trans pan with drain plug, not a deep one either, with lowered suspension they tend to hit lumps and bumps.
      I did drill it and install a temp sender.

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396 View Post
        Well I finally took my car for a ride on the street for the first time today. Shortly after I left the car started smoking. So I went back home and started inspecting and the transmission was leaking and of course that meant bottom of the car is coated with fluid, and I noticed that fluid was coming out of the vent. I checked the fluid level and it seems that it is a a little over full. So my questions are as follows:

1. If the transmission was overfilled would it be coming out of the vent.

2. How can I drain some fluid out of the transmission without removing the pan.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
        This is VERY SIMPLE. All you need to do to remove excess oil from a overfilled automatic transmission is the following. Get a SHOP VAC and a piece of hose that is small enough and long enough to go to the bottom of the transmission pan that fits in the Dipstick Tube. Then put the other end of that small hose inside the SHOP VAC hose. Then stuff the end of the SHOP VAC hose with a paper towel or anything that takes up the space between the small hose that you have inserted in the transmission dipstick tube and the SHOP VAC hose. Turn on the SHOP VAC and BINGO. Out comes the transmission fluid. The reason I have SHOP VAC in UPPER CASE letters, that some dummy don't use the house vac.
        this worked GREAT on my 1963 Thunderbird. You can also use this method to remove blood from a corpse ( just kidding )
        John G
        Last edited by John G; November 19, 2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Thread CPR!!!

Trivia: How many site names has it been since the original post?

Welcome to the site, by the way!
          Last edited by Beagle; November 19, 2015, 05:37 PM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Another solution that doesn't require an air compressor, is to get a marine primer bulb and pump some fluid out of the dipstick tube.

...and for the record - to anyone who may not know, check your automatic transmission fluid with the engine running (and up to operating temperature) and the transmission in Park. If you've just removed some fluid or changed the fluid, I like to put the transmission in Reverse, neutral, Drive, then back to Park before checking the fluid level to make sure fluid is distributed everywhere inside the transmission

Comment

Gotta move thru the gears then back into park!
                How about that grease gun looking thingamajig that sucks.. There will be. 1.5 foot long clear hose on it.
                Just add to it or put a longer one on it.. It won't have the grease pump lever on it...

Comment

7 years later and no-one has mentioned the easiest way yet...
                  Just drive it some more since the transmission was already 'adjusting' its oil level all by itself, AND you got a semi-free underbody coating as well...
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

we use a Mityvac Evacuator... Click image for larger version

Name:	3316149_700x700.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1070777
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Now I've been sucked into this. Use the aquarium hose, its clear and just suck on the hose after the other end has been shoved down the filler tube. It not like its gas. And besides , its red you can clearly see it coming .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                      X