Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2x4 or 3x2 for best drivability on a mild engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input everyone.

I've browsed around on Jay's forum, not sure if I registered there or not ... good plan though, he certainly knows his FE inductions!

cheers
    Ed
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
      Thanks for the input everyone.

I've browsed around on Jay's forum, not sure if I registered there or not ... good plan though, he certainly knows his FE inductions!

cheers
      Ed
      Then you'll know he has published a book, the Great FE Intake Comparo or some such title, which gets rave reviews.

Haven't bought it myself but I do have Barry R's FE book "How to Build Max-Performance Ford FE Engines" published by CarTech books-- well worth the $$$. Chapter 10 is all about intake manifold set-ups.

www.cartechbooks.com
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Jay's book will tell me that the intakes I'm considering are crap for making power ... LOL

cheers
        Ed

Comment

this vid is still in my favorites:

if its an old draft cam, they will be tight at the intake valve timing side (3 to single digit degrees before they start to open btdc) do anything you want. it won't be difficult to get going.

they don't just slobber a difficulty..they tease for more air, not really a nascar result.
          the fat lobes is where rocket science is needed on big old school draft.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 18, 2012, 05:51 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
            TC, keep in mind that this is a 4,200 lb. car with an auto box and 3.00 gears ... it would be hard pressed to see the high side of 4000 rpm. So 500 cfm should do the trick I believe. Edelbrock has some of their 500 AVS carbs that are specifically calibrated for a 2x4 on a mild larger displacement engine.

Bob, the 3x2 system that I am looking at does have the outer carbs as you describe. The primary is a manual choke, I would have to look at what it might take to convert it to electric ... a hand choke just doesn't seem right on a classy car like a Thunderbird that has power everything else.

cheers
            Ed
            get the right choke knob that matches the radio knobs...

I don't know if I get the "tuning three carbs" thing sometimes. Every sport bike I owned had 4, and they were all on all the time. The 3x2 gives an interesting deal with progressive tuning. If they never get pulled on, it's not all that big a deal. Tuning for WFO is like reading plugs? They don't have to be "Synched" like a non-progressive setup does. I may be talking out of my butt here, but I don't drive with my foot in 6 barrels all the time either. I'd probably on be on 2 most of the time.

that said, and having stated that I'm an idiot - this is just too cool looking.

I'd probably go that way over the 2x4.
            Last edited by Beagle; October 19, 2012, 01:59 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

3x2 Coolness

Further to Beagle's post above, this is looking good too. Seen at Henderson NC today in a very sweet 64 Galaxie from VA.
              Attached Files
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Is that a custom inner fender well or is that MSD box just mounted where a cruise control unit or something would be?
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  Is that a custom inner fender well or is that MSD box just mounted where a cruise control unit or something would be?
                  Or something....the windshield washer bag

Comment

I missed this one... 3x2 fer sure. Variable intake runner length, high velocity central plenums, high flow outer bodies...It works. Dove FE wedge with a 3x2 top...Super EZ to tune and keep tuned too! Fitting a FAST dual sync distributor is a problem though. Dont need no Chevy cap on my Ford set-up at any rate. This one goes on a 427 in a 67 fastback Mustang.
                    BKB
                    Attached Files
                    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

That is very sweet ... something like that would be an ultimate setup for me. Unfortunately I'm sure that it costs as much as or more than I paid for the whole car! LOL

cheers
                      Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X