12,000 miles-5 Fuel Pumps Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12,000 miles-5 Fuel Pumps Advice needed

My dad's '47 chevy seems to reject fuel pumps.
    350 crate w/
    rv cam
    holley 650
    roller rockers
    block hugger headers
    alum rad. elec fan
    700r4
    frame mounted fuel pump

The fuel pump in question is a $50 of the shelf pump from napa, or the local parts house.
    We thought that heat from the mufflers was prematurely killing the pumps. So we added heat sheild to the line from tank to motor.
    Continued to eat pumps. We then added a return line to help cool the pump by cycling the fuel.
    Dad went to move the car from garage to the shop, started the '47 and got out to move moms car and came back and it sounded like it came off of fast idle then nothing. Cranked, nothing. Pulled the fuel line at carb and no pressure.
    Also the tank might be 5 years old and we have never had anything come out of the fuel filter.

Its just really wierd we had one die after 1600 miles, and others die after sitting for a few days and moving the car.

Couple questions.
    Before we replace it, why would they continue dieing so soon?
    And, if you were to suggest a new pump what would you buy?

This car is a cruiser and needs to be able to put serious miles on at the drop of a hat.
    Any input? Kind of lost
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Doesn't sound like anything a stock mechanical pump can't handle? I am not sure there is a magical answer when it comes to a dead reliable electric pump. I run a holley blue and even though it was 12 years old it made drag week with no trouble. But I didn't trust it as I had another one in the trunk that I bought just for the trip lol.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Is there some reason why you're running an electric pump? I'd try a mechanical pump....preferably with a return line (most of the 70s- 80s chevys used a return line).

If the frame is in the way or something, then you might need to use an electric pump. what kind of pumps are you using? I've also had a long life from a couple of Holley blue pumps. They are a bit loud for a street rod...and you do need to have a filter of some type before the pump
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

try moving it closer to an end of the car on its own mount.
        you mention on frame, is it in the middle of the car someplace?

try unlevel runtime as well. don't let pump sit level.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Another vote for a mechanical if it will work.

As far as electrics go .... another vote for the blue pump. Mine has been plugging away for darn near 20 years and only had to re-seal it once.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Pump is higher or lower than the tank? They don't seem to like pulling very well. See if you can get it lower where it will siphon or gravity feed withouth having to work to get fuel to it? Alternatively, and in tank lift pump may help if you have to stay electric for some reason. My thinking here is it's getting hot because it's haveing to pull the fuel.

What do they look like when you pull one apart?
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              Is there some reason why you're running an electric pump? I'd try a mechanical pump....preferably with a return line (most of the 70s- 80s chevys used a return line).

If the frame is in the way or something, then you might need to use an electric pump. what kind of pumps are you using? I've also had a long life from a couple of Holley blue pumps. They are a bit loud for a street rod...and you do need to have a filter of some type before the pump
              The filter before the pump was my first thought, as well. I went though a couple pumps quickly due to stuff from the tank killing the pumps - but the o/p says the whole fuel system is new, so perhaps this isn't the problem.

Have you checked to make sure the pumps can handle the alcohol that's used in gasoline blends nowadays? I mean, I would assume that anything still sold should be able to tolerate the ethanol, but it's worth a check.

After 5 pumps, I would do something different!

Comment

Keep the suggestions coming. I am just going off of what I remember.
                I think a mechanical isn't out of the question. I dont remember why we went electric for sure. The pump is at about the back of the door on the frame so not quite half way. I believe there is a filter before the pump and one on the motor.
                I will try to see if dad remembers The brand of pump and try and get a part number.
                We want to figure out why they keep dieing before we put another one on.
                Last edited by 1trickpony; October 23, 2012, 05:21 AM.
                Jeff
                Follow My Build

Comment

The ranger ran a carter electric on the frame about centered on the cab, it was "downhill" from the tank, and with a couple feet of the tank.

It sounds like something is fundamentally wrong with the set up - filter before is too restrictive, filter after is too restrictive. Too far from tank, something isn't right, kink in the inlet line, restriction inside the tank you can't see, etc. Even a cheap electric pump should last longer than what you're experiencing.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

High resistance wiring can burn them out in no time. Do you have a relay wired in close to the pump?

Comment

I used a Carter electric pump on my 57 wagon, seems to work really well. Definitely use a filter between the pump and the tank, and also use a relay for reliable voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Y View Post
                        High resistance wiring can burn them out in no time. Do you have a relay wired in close to the pump?
                        I was thinking along the same lines. An improper ground (corroded terminal or rusty frame rail) could also be an issue.

Ron
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

After talking to Dad I got this info:
                          The last two pumps were Carter fuel pumps.
                          There is a 3/8" fuel line that is lower than the tank that will ciphon through the filter.
                          The relay for the pump is at the fuse panel which is a Painless Wiring Harness

That is all for now
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

The relay should be as close to the pump as possible. You are using one however so, I would look at a grounding issue or if possible relocate the relay. Also where is the pump mounted? You want it as close to the tank as possible. These pumps are meant to push fuel not pull.
                            Last edited by 1Y; October 24, 2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Check the gas cap? does it vent? Is the pump haveing to pull vac on the tank?
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X