Question for Mopar A-Body guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Mopar A-Body guys

Can you put a bow-type fabric headliner in a '73-up car that came with one of those cardboard headliners? Needing to put a rollcage in one and I'm wondering how to get a headliner back in when I'm done.

Re: Question for Mopar A-Body guys

i havent seen that one done but would like someone who does know because now im wondering the same thing.

Comment

If the blackglass is out, you could put it in thru there.

Rick

Comment

I have been curious about that also, but I am not sure they have the punchout's for the bow's or clip's, I put a roll cage in my 76 and ended up sanding and painting the exposed metal, only thing I hate is it get's soooooo hot in the pit's and staging lane's, and I think a liner would help that a lot.

Comment

I put the roll bar in my 55 with the headliner in place. Hold some sheet metal above the weld to protect the headliner.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've done them with either the back glass, or windshield out. My current project will get the same thing done shorty...the windshield is out and the cage is already in!

Quit working on A-bodies and get the RumbleBee rumblin'!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              I put the roll bar in my 55 with the headliner in place. Hold some sheet metal above the weld to protect the headliner.

We call it a skate board, line the back of it with card board and cut in the shape of a skate board
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Yes and no. I did this in my 73' Scamp I used to have because mice got into it and chewed the hell out of the cardboard headliner. I just grabbed all the parts from a dart parts car I had and everything needed to mount it was already there on teh scamp. A friend of mine tried it on his 75' valiant 4dr and it didn't have the mounts for the bows.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerRick
                  Yes and no. I did this in my 73' Scamp I used to have because mice got into it and chewed the hell out of the cardboard headliner. I just grabbed all the parts from a dart parts car I had and everything needed to mount it was already there on teh scamp. A friend of mine tried it on his 75' valiant 4dr and it didn't have the mounts for the bows.
                  Hmm...that's the closest thing yet to what I was hoping to hear. The car is a '73 Duster. I guess I won't know if it has the bow mounts until I ruin the old and mint cardboard liner.

Comment

David -
                    No need to screw up the old headliner. Just take you time and remove it carefully. Then - EBAY! I got the one out of the Camaro in one piece, but it's really not very good.

Later
                    Dan

Comment

The Camaro 'liner is srt of flexy foam isn't it? The Mopar has pressboard very similar to cardboard, and onve they age they are brittle.

Comment

Mine seems to be pretty much cardboard (it's a '78) and wasn't too hard to get out in one chunk. I'm sort of goofy about trying to keep everything in one piece as I remove it, as I've had to scrounge for some odd piece or another, and I just KNEW that someone had it under their bench or someplace. So if I can, I try to be the source for such bits. Have two good rear view mirrors for a '78 and a NEW OEM spare tire!

Dan

Comment

The cardboard liner started in 72. I wish I could have found a good one when I was building my Duster. Save it if you can, somebody can use it.

Comment

Dave,

Here is an idea for you. Did it on my Dart. Worked pretty well.

Keep the cardboard one in there. Weld in your rollcage, then go to a place like Joanne Fabrics. there is a fabric that is the same as they use on headliners in modern cars. Get some 3M spray glue. Cut, trim, glue and you have your own custom headliner.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry70GTX
                              The cardboard liner started in 72. I wish I could have found a good one when I was building my Duster. Save it if you can, somebody can use it.

I remember that black Duster from Power Tour. Bitchin'!

Comment

Working...
                              X