"you are not the maintenance man"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "you are not the maintenance man"

so I am sitting at my computer, just posting in the attacking a monojet thread, a few more details of the tin can I built from the ground up..random memories of trucking, and aircraft mechanic in the military...via the computer I built from nothing, climbing up on 50000 hours in about 7 weeks...
    ...when the radiator pipe let out an odor. it is right under my desk, I quickly go for the visegrips in the pile of tools I have right in my room, as I am always building something...I knew that pipe was not only wrong, the water temp setting has been a complaint more than once.

poof, hiss, and a quick burn on one hand, I snap the visegrip over the 220+ F super steaming pisshole now spewing a pressure I don't ever recall seeing, not even from a thermite blazing subaru boxer engine disintegrting to heat......

walk and run and talk on the phone at the same time, a call to the landlord.. I got the red emergency switch cover in my mind for the furnace, as I built at a few that needed some shutdowns in a hurry over the years..

get to the back door of the building, knock knocking... after skipping down a flight of stairs to the first floor with door out the front of building..

must. get. to. emergency. switch..

it leads to the basement out back, I said "I need to get in and shut furnace off"..not mentioning the place of very powerful leak is right above this particular tenants room.

down to the basement I go, find the switches, run back up stairs and mop up in realtime what seems to be several gallons a minute...extremely hot for what seemed forever..another tenant found a way to shut water off, it's a good thing..the dumb system does not shut water off, only the furnace , when something goes wrong.

inbetween the leap from stairs to basement...

"you are not the maintenenace man." said a tenant... I almost paused for a moment, a flash of memory of yet another year of mentally retarded auto inspectors..at the same level of plague as this lady spewing garbage out her mouth...and a veterans status leaving me anonymous enough to be found in a ditch someplace...

a hellish thought of solstice squeeze externally on an old building.. and ice storm on the way, hot old steamy beams making the backbone of a house that could be bent forever...if i do not do something, right now...
    I am not the hell. just not in me. the lady spewing garbage reminded me of my little sister...can't gain on a motivated man, talk shit right?

I built at a few houses..my last one was in 2005 with my brother (now gone famous rich people houses).. I saved a piece of levellar to put my computer on. Amazing new technology for basement beams...or wherever you want one. I let the plumber used it to keep his knees out of the wet rug...

To this day, I go by new england homes and look for fat wood trim, real wood siding, slate or shingles..vinyl, I even layed down cedar shake over many many hours by hand. Seeing through walls wondering how the beam is layed down...ground up built is my mind.
    that is just me. I like that kind of think.

merry xmas.

I saved a house full of retarded tenants and a very fat landlord from a much bigger bill.. no need to say thanks. the "plumber" also needed my torch to set the solder in the new pipe...me?
    I went to dunkin donuts, then sat down by the river until the suffocating stifling steam climbed back out of my lung.

anybody got a place for a "not a maintenance man" ?

I am liking the new 7/8ths pipe, alot less swell. got a few years before it needs another one..of course the retarded heating system design passes all the right inspections..slum rent is big business ya know.
    another tenant that found the water main, explained to me afterwards the trial and error to shut the main water off, and where it was located..at least that makes two of us aware of how fast things can snap around here..

a militant approach to keeping this place on behalf of the landlord, would be letting at least all the tenants get together, for a quick meeting, none of usknow each other. Maybe even assign some tasks to those familiar with something.. the lady downstairs was playing sentinel to the basement door, a guy called the maintenance man had to trial and error the water.. me? I went old school crew chief to avert a disaster, you can figure out what I did later...this life is going on.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 9, 2012, 01:11 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

There are people who do, and there are people who don't... or can't. Or can't recognise other, smarter people who can do.
    It can be a burden when your good deeds can't be seen, nor be appreciated by some. Find people who can... ;)
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
      There are people who do, and there are people who don't... or can't. Or can't recognise other, smarter people who can do.
      It can be a burden when your good deeds can't be seen, nor be appreciated by some. Find people who can... ;)

very true, and most who need to know that do.. the burden is ending up in a place not exactly planned.

if knowing on your own is not enough burden, keeping your own head up is.

not sure why I hang onto this locale like i do...been saying that since 1987.

I even told the landlord his place is like a hotel california. (my cheap buggy self destructed one piece at a time..nowhere else but here.) not a good way to get along with the obese guy is it...

seems more than funny, the pipe breaking near my pc and feet.
      tough rug no doubt, have a fan on it now..
      a drinker lived here before me, I can tell. my heavy duty cleaning before I moved in still gave a hint of somebodies slobbering past with the water from pipe.

good enough, better than when I got here...just the way I am going to leave it.

a thing houses do here is rise up with creaks and moans in the winter..puffing up like a balloon. now is a good time for the 500 pounds of auto parts in the bins in the closet. All I got was ww2 wood floor creaks as it dried up..no big moves.

a mechanic held it down.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 9, 2012, 06:24 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

not sure why I hang onto this locale like i do...been saying that since 1987.

Stockholm syndrome?
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
          Stockholm syndrome?
          good call.

when I was flying local, end up in england, texas, wherever..that was crucial to staying content. I even mentioned it while working.. when I was done there, I am disappearing from here..

hardly depressive, I got some physical issues.

place is holding up..good slop of heavy snow ice and rain.. I keep an eye on the pole wires outside the window for icicles...if they gain, I pay closer attention to the building.

seems the bit of wet on the floor shaped it into the "hull"..(made a tighter boat)

no worries..
          and I should not have to. This place and landlords..you pay them to be the expert you are to stay in these old buldings..

I am very envious of the slate roof across the street. a perfect square, could be greater than 75 years. center grains at the four corners, close attention to the main beams.. there are some serious old buildings, I am not in one. that is when builders could build boats..less than 20/20 mopped the floors.

a sad thing they did..these places were family..splitting rooms off into their own vaults where everything was designed to flow as one house, and the saddest part.. I think they removed an original chimney. not sure..seems the building is missing the biggest beams thay had back then, called chimneys. Not for me to be sad over..it was something to learn.

the big fat guy ignoring the experts that live in it..that is the devilish outcome local, every building has an ass for an owner.

not to be rambling about the wrong subject at bangshift.. I spotted this strange flip flopping trend in automobiles as well. Real builders don't spend the big dollars..then suddenly the fat guy with the million dollar hemi is pretending expert dishing out to own the simply special...built by real people.

I took on a ricer being a bit more warhorsed...
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 10, 2012, 09:23 AM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

You know, Barry...you write some weird stuff, but that was great, I loved it. Took me right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              You know, Barry...you write some weird stuff, but that was great, I loved it. Took me right there.
              weird is why I write..common stuff doesn't need it much.

right at this moment, I just aired the smell of steam..not sure where it came from. Ears up like an alert dog..landlord here,he has good tenants.

I posted here, I thought of the cars that don't get built...
              integrity challenged for no reason.

the statement as the title of this thread... I thought of alot of people who gave up their projects. the attitiude is the reason. No facts, just attitude...challenged as if to be a sentinel or inspector grand skills of masterful nothings. If that woman had authority, this house would be in sad shape..I would not have gotten to the furnace.

common sense takes over at the right time..not everybody gets that. The cars need more of it, alot does. motivation seems hindered by a whole lot of wannabe somethings, and the one actual doer saying nothing gets a punch in the soul for existing...

let the apocalypse commence.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 16, 2012, 08:44 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Not the maintenace man soulda if he coulda diverted the water/steam to bigmouth's rooms...
                Some of us do what is needed to fix the problem.. Some just stand there in the way, asking for a knuckle sammich..
                she'd be singing a different tune if her stuff was damaged...

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  what he said (as much as I understood, but I'm a Dylan fan too)
                  Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

You are not the maintenance man.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Not the maintenace man soulda if he coulda diverted the water/steam to bigmouth's rooms...
                      Some of us do what is needed to fix the problem.. Some just stand there in the way, asking for a knuckle sammich..
                      she'd be singing a different tune if her stuff was damaged...
                      this place, it gets serious come december to april.. a mental patient could be renting in the same house...and you can't even hate at it.

rising above it has alaskan views.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                      X