Folvo, Bob's 2013 Science Fair Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    But how much will it cost to get the "V" milled off the valve cover, a pad welded back on, and an "F" ball-milled in place? Unseen expenses.

Dan

That could break the budget...now I'm going to have to rethink the whole thing!
    I'm still learning

Comment

The holes at the back of the block that the head doesn't cover(or does it), what do you plan on doing there??, can you drill them round and plug them??......

Comment

What generation of 2.3 block will this volvo head fit on... there's that 2.3 twin plug sitting behind my shop complete with bell-housing and clutch...
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
          The holes at the back of the block that the head doesn't cover(or does it), what do you plan on doing there??, can you drill them round and plug them??......
          Still trying to determine. If you drill them, tap and stick in a pipe plug...you probably need to redeck and hone. If you mill a round hole, and use a freeze plug, you probably wouldn't need to. If you use a block of aluminum you probably don't have those problems, but if welded on, you may lose the temper in the head...if you braze it on,
          I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            What generation of 2.3 block will this volvo head fit on... there's that 2.3 twin plug sitting behind my shop complete with bell-housing and clutch...
            Should fit.
            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
              Still trying to determine. If you drill them, tap and stick in a pipe plug...you probably need to redeck and hone. If you mill a round hole, and use a freeze plug, you probably wouldn't need to. If you use a block of aluminum you probably don't have those problems, but if welded on, you may lose the temper in the head...if you braze it on,
              So what your saying is you have options...

And are they all water or is one an oil drain??....

Comment

One is an oil.
                I'm still learning

Comment

I love these hybrid head swaps. It's amazing how well some of these work out. I can't believe how close the two are. Looks like even the head bolts line up too. I'll be following this build!
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I was running around today looking at 2.3L pistons (see my post on pin bushings) and ran across these:

Looks like you can buy the proper pistons for the swap though I know I've seen DIY setups for putting the valve notchs in.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

DIY method: http://yoshifab.com/store/index.php?...d&productId=47

Comment

Nice reference there Karl.

Bob
                        I'm still learning

Comment

Speaking of head swaps - A guy at Bonneville last year had an MGB with a BMW 4 cylinder DOHC motorcycle head swap. Bore centers are close enough and the cam drive can be made to work. It was pretty cool and ran well.

Dan

Comment

I'm contemplating putting Nissan VQ V6 heads on a short deck 3.8L Buick since they share the same bore spacing. I'd have to make adapter plates though since the coolant jacket styles are radically different and the VQ head bolts are outside the normal deck area of the Buick engine.
                            Get it to run a distributor and carb and put it in an E/CBFALT car.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

wow, I'd like to see that one.

One of the big reasons for doing this is my desire to research cam timing v exhaust backpressure. The DOHC arrangement lets me use one set of cams to fiddle with numerous different cam timing events. I've got a variety of turbos, I'm hoping to cobble together a set of turbos that offer different pressure ratios.
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                                I'm contemplating putting Nissan VQ V6 heads on a short deck 3.8L Buick since they share the same bore spacing.
                                Just out of curiosity, what is the bore spacing of the short deck 3.8L Buick?

Comment

Working...
                                X